• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Laser to line up pinion?

Rocker

NAXJA Forum User
Got all the stuff to lift my 98 so I have been reading evrything I can on here, including measuring the dreaded pinion angle. Couldnt you use a laser. I have a cheap sears one for doing carpentry work. Maybe you could just align it with the diff output shaft and see where it hits in back. I think you could actually figure out the degrees by knowing the length of the beam and how far off you were in back. You would have to allow for 1/2 of the diameter of the output shaft because the laser lies below it. Do ya think Rockers off his rocker or it might work?

you're going to shoot your Jeep with a "laser"?

It'll melt like a taco.

Lasers cause Death Wobble.

Just measure the angle; unless you LIKE making things far more difficult than they have to be...

measuring with the lazer wont account for the length of the forst u-joint in the CV joint setup

best way - install a driveshaft and use an angle finder to measure the angle of the driveshaft...

and you can look at the u-joint and tell within about 3* that you are close...

Just be certain you perform the measurement inside a garage with the door closed and the windows taped over. If the laser beam accidently escapes and a pilot sees it, you'll get a visit from the Dept of Homeland Security and probably be arrested as a terrorist trying to cause an airplane crash.

Eagle said:
Just be certain you perform the measurement inside a garage with the door closed and the windows taped over. If the laser beam accidently escapes and a pilot sees it, you'll get a visit from the Dept of Homeland Security and probably be arrested as a terrorist trying to cause an airplane crash.

I think the garage door closed with the windows taped up is enough to get homeland security to visit even WITHOUT the laser!

Matthew

Back