• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge of unibody

Which part. The "frame rails" thickness varys depending on location.

AARON

Frame rails and body
I will be installing a set of Frame stiffners to the body and will be playing with the body its self on later dates. would like to get an Idea of what thicknesses I will be playing with.

Thanks

Ramsey said:
is this right?
Not positive what guage it was, but when cutting through my frame rails I found areas were anywhere from 1 to 3 layers thick on my 95. Most were 1 or 2, but one section on either side was 3 where there was an overlap.

Digging up an old thread for research's sake, or planning something?

both. gonna be sleeving my frame rails before too long and want to get some practice welding 3/16 to thin crap before hand

Bueller?

buellerqq2.jpg

Frame rails?

gearwhine said:
I don't know the gauge, but wherever I've measured it, it's about 1/16".
Gracias

I have found that some of the boxing for the leaf hangers and other various places along the frame are actually pretty close to 1/8" and they're pretty easy to weld to, without blowing through.
I'm trying to integrate as much of those pieces into my master plan as I can.

Be sure to note all of the locations and get that to me asap.

Just a tidbit of info that seems relavent to this thread. I've come up with the revolutionary, radical, breakthrough hypothesis that the gauge thickness is equivalent to saying the metal is 1/(gauge)" thick. So, 14 guage would be 1/14" thick, 16 would be 1/16" thick and so on.

Can anybody confirm this? It seems to make sense and be pretty accurate so far.

Carry on,
Jared:patriot:

algeroth79 said:
Anyone know the guage of the sheet metal of the XJ 1990

And how is this Advanced Fab or Engineering? Maybe OE tech...

how thick of metal would you weld to your unibody, specifcly in the area around the crossmember where it looks thicker. would 1/4 be to much?

Back