• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping 96 parts into an 87 xj

cherokeeproject

NAXJA Forum User
i have at my disposal a 96 cherokee sport 4wd that i can get from a junkyard for reasonably good cost. i would like to turn my 87 pioneer to 4wd. will all the parts match up?

basically im wondering what all changed from the 87 cherokee's to the 96 and up cherokee? i have a I6 4.0 and an AW4 tranny

also i found a 01 cherokee in a different yard, a little more pricy but less miles. would it be better to use its parts?

If you are talking about changing just the trans t/case, front axle, etc and retaining the 87 engine and computer they will work; but you need to keep the flex plate to match the 87 computer (and CPS??).

rsalemi said:
If you are talking about changing just the trans t/case, front axle, etc and retaining the 87 engine and computer they will work; but you need to keep the flex plate to match the 87 computer (and CPS??).

here's all the things i would like to swap...
transfer case, dashboard, center console, and all the interior. (i hate my current color and the other cherokee's have the grey that i would like.

i might also swap....
tranny, power steering pump, alternator, hoses and those kinda things depending on the condition of them. do you think i will have any problems?

p.s. i already read the writeup on swapping the center consol

is there a jeep history web site out there that will tell me all the changes that happened with the cherokee while it was in production?

i know alot of things changed, engine wise, to give it more torque in the newer models but what else changed?

Back