• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering columns???

fftrmedic

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone out there, know if the steering columns in the YJ's are interchangeable with the columns in the XJ's. I need a column for my '92 XJ and all I can find are ones for automatics and YJs. I need one for a manual tranny with tilt. I had to tear into mine due to a jammed ignition cylinder.

Unless you're getting a column shift, I don't recall seeing a lot of difference between the manual and automatic columns in the XJ.

If you were pre-90, you'd have a lot more options - AMC used a GM column, and most GM columns will work (I'm thinking of looking for one of the BOP columns with tilt and telescoping wheel...)

I am informed that it is possible to switch something about the non-airbag ChryCo columns - but whether that was switching the key cylinder or the whole column eludes me for the moment. It was pretty recent - you can probably find it with a brief search of posts in the last fortnight or so...

5-90

Let me know what you find. I'm looking for one for my '92 XJ 5 speed manual tranny that has tilt. Also I would need the one that has the key release lever just in front of the ignition. Thanks Gib.

I have a 1988 XJ and there is a difference between the tilt and the non tilt steering wheels....the non tilt is too short and will not fit.

Also there is a difference between manual and automatic tranny steering columns. The lock mechanism is different.

My problem is I had a automatic tilt in my XJ and it got stolen because the steering wheel won't lock. I got a manual non tilt (cannot switch components) and now I have to look for a manual tilt to fit my car. Do you have suggestions for that?

I have a 1988 XJ and there is a difference between the tilt and the non tilt steering wheels....the non tilt is too short and will not fit.

Also there is a difference between manual and automatic tranny steering columns. The lock mechanism is different.

My problem is I had a automatic tilt in my XJ and it got stolen because the steering wheel won't lock. I got a manual non tilt (cannot switch components) and now I have to look for a manual tilt to fit my car. Do you have suggestions for that?

Hmmmm...

The difference in the console automatic column and manual column should just be the Park Lock cable. You should be able to remove that and then lock the steering--note: I haven't done this, but IIRC that is the only difference, the Park Lock cable prevents the key going to the LOCK position and being removed from the key cylinder unless the transmission is in Park. Should be simple to remove that.

Back