• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling my 4.0

fom_ska

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ that I am swapping out an old 4.0 for a recently rebuilt 4.0 of the same year. I am having a tough time getting the last couple bolts out of the bellhousing. Anyone run into this problem while pulling their motors. Oh, these two bolts are the top two and the bolt heads are on the tranny side of the bellhousing. Please let me know if anyone ran into this problem and has a solution. Thanks!

Right now, you need to get an E12 (External Torx) socket, a universal joint, and some extensions.

Unbolt the transmission crossmember, and lower. Remove the two bolts.

Lift out the engine.

Take the two bolts to the hardware store, find the 3/8"-16 Grade 8 hardware. Match underhead length to a socket head capscrew. I think they're 2-1/4" long, but I can't swear to it right now.

Discard external torx bolts, and replace with hex heads. Don't worry about it later - you'll just need a 9/16" socket next time you get there for whatever reason.

5-90

I didn't have to remove the tranny crossmember, I just removed the pass side motor mount to include the mount portion on the block, and then lowered the engine down in the bay to get access to the bolts.

step-dad put a rachet-wrench on it before I could tell him that it was a star bolt and stripped it all out. Tried putting on a socket with that plastic welder crap in it and let it sit over night and still slipped off. Don't know what else to do. I went and bought those stripped bolt removers from Sears, but haven't gotten a chance to try them yet. Anyone have any advice.

I went and bought those stripped bolt removers from Sears, but haven't gotten a chance to try them yet. Anyone have any advice.

They probably won't work. They didn't for me after we stripped the right side Torx bolt. Finally used a Dremmel tool from inside with someone guiding me to the right spot from outside the engine compartment. If the transmission is slightly lowered you can just about see the bolt head by looking down past the firewall well enough to guide someone cutting. The passenger side Torx bolt also has a small bracket to hold on a vent tube for the TC, which acts as a guide. Went through 2 cutting wheels for the job, but once you get in a groove it goes pretty fast. Replaced the Torx bolts with hex bolts. Good luck.

used a grinder and cut the head of the bolt off and it popped right out. engine is out and ready to put the new one in. I barely made any kind of dent on the cutting stone and it took me about 25 minutes to cut out. I only forgot two wires. Needless to say, they broke and will have to get new ones. They are both on the manifold side of the block, down low. Ready to start putting in the new one. that should be fun!!!

I couldn't do it on my 89 or 93 XJ.
I ended up pulling out both trannys with the engines, but it makes it easier to bolt everything back together, and I needed to pull my driveshafts to replace my U-joints anyways.

Back