• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fit and finish rear bumpers

mknack

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to figure out which rear bumper to buy for my 2000 XJ. I really only wanted to replace the fender flares with either the Rustys flares or the bushwackers, but they all required that I remove the bumper caps from the rear quarters. Anyone that has a 99 or newer will know exactly waht Im talking about.

Is there any pictures of some good fit and finish work where someone cut the end caps of the bumper to mold with aftermarket flares? If I just take them off, it looks pretty bad to me with all that open space left underneath the tail lights.

If there are no good suggestions for the fab work, can anyone suggest any good, inexpensive bumpers that can solve the fit anf finish problem? I have seen the TJM bumpers, and they are nice, but Im not too sure about the tire mount, it seems a bit flimsy. I also looked up a few bumpers that were posted on this site, but Im not sure where Rigid is located and if they would be able to ship etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

mknack said:
I am trying to figure out which rear bumper to buy for my 2000 XJ. I really only wanted to replace the fender flares with either the Rustys flares or the bushwackers, but they all required that I remove the bumper caps from the rear quarters. Anyone that has a 99 or newer will know exactly waht Im talking about.

Is there any pictures of some good fit and finish work where someone cut the end caps of the bumper to mold with aftermarket flares? If I just take them off, it looks pretty bad to me with all that open space left underneath the tail lights.

If there are no good suggestions for the fab work, can anyone suggest any good, inexpensive bumpers that can solve the fit anf finish problem? I have seen the TJM bumpers, and they are nice, but Im not too sure about the tire mount, it seems a bit flimsy. I also looked up a few bumpers that were posted on this site, but Im not sure where Rigid is located and if they would be able to ship etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

rigidco is in SLC, Utah

HTH

Does Rigidco have a website or anything that I can further research thier product? Or even a phone number, I could start there.

Sweet, and great timing. I just bought an XJ and moved to the SLC UT area.. And I'm looking for ideas for bumpers (among other things).

X-acto Knife, Metal (yes metal) Shears, Very sharp pocket knife, lots of time.
Cut to fit.

PA240010.jpg

PA240013.jpg

PA240020.jpg

I also bought some edge trim at the auto parts store to cover the new edge I cut. The bumper is Wilderness tire carrier by Garvin Industries.

mtntech, got any pics a little farther back to see how that looks overall? I like the idea of keeping your stock caps with a better bumper and rear tire carrier!!

Thanks,
Jason

NIce work, but like he said, do you have any pictures of the whole product? Also, are those Bushwackers? How do you like them? I have heard that they dont give alot of room to tuck under because of a plastic lip on the bottom of the flare.

Nice looking rig there mate. Just remove the rest of the door protection strip though as it looks a little lost there and makes the door look longer too ( less high ). ;)

Thanks for the pics! It really has helped me decide how to handle the bumper situation. I like how they were all done. Thanks for everyones help.

Back