• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fan clutch who makes a good one

BUCKET said:
are there any real good fan clutches out there in the after market or are the stock ones the best

I just installed a NAPA clutch last month. In my opinion, it's not agressive enough. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with an OEM, or maybe tried a Perma Cool. OEMs are more than double the price I paid for the NAPA, but most say thay work better.

Last edited:
Hayden thermal - it's all I use. Probably costs about half of what I'd pay for OEMR here, and lasts just as long (~5 years.)

One of the designs I've got to finish is a fan clutch eliminator - I've had the one on the market pointed up to me, but I don't like it (just a bad design, y'ask me.) I think I can do better - "Look at that caveman go!"

5-90

5-90 said:
One of the designs I've got to finish is a fan clutch eliminator - I've had the one on the market pointed up to me, but I don't like it (just a bad design, y'ask me.) I think I can do better - "Look at that caveman go!"

Just one request . . . don't make it a hack 'n tap!!!

I really don't think I could stand those threads. :banghead:

:D

I bought a hayden thermal from Advance and it was junk straight out of the box. Took it back and went next door to Autozone and got a heavy duty torqflo. It was larger and is working better. Both of these were around $36-38. Checked with the dealer, OEM was $135 :eek:

Pulled fan clutch out, got the drill press....drilled a hole right through the center of it. Placed a bolt throught it, and spot welded the nut/bolt. No vibes, just cool.....

Not a DD by-the-way

-Red

Calata said:
Why wouldn't a person ( ok, me ) want a DD with a locked fan? What would be its disadvantages?
Little more noise, little less mileage, much better cooling. FYI Autozone has clutch spacers so you can remove the clutch if you want.

Yeah - but most of those are meant for flex fans (the extruded spacers,) and the rest are not something I'd want in a high-reliability, high-endurance application.

The FCE's I've seen are all cast - and they're "universal" - meaning that they've got holes in them that are much too large. And, they're cast to be "lightweight" - which means lots of grooves and corners that you just don't need.

I'm planning on having mine machined out of wrought stock, taking advantage of the grain flow of wrought material vice the amourphous grain structure of a casting (when you can anticipate loads, a cast part isnt' a good idea,) and having it "machined to fit" will make for a more PnP installation, and a part that can be lighter without compromising strength or fatigue life.

The first one I'm working on will work on XJ/MJ w/4.0, all years - and I'll have to see what else it will work on later. If need be, I'll design parts for the 4cyl and the V8 later - but that's later. I've got to finish the projects that are already on my desk now!

5-90

5-90 said:
Yeah - but most of those are meant for flex fans (the extruded spacers,) and the rest are not something I'd want in a high-reliability, high-endurance application.

The FCE's I've seen are all cast - and they're "universal" - meaning that they've got holes in them that are much too large. And, they're cast to be "lightweight" - which means lots of grooves and corners that you just don't need.

I'm planning on having mine machined out of wrought stock, taking advantage of the grain flow of wrought material vice the amourphous grain structure of a casting (when you can anticipate loads, a cast part isnt' a good idea,) and having it "machined to fit" will make for a more PnP installation, and a part that can be lighter without compromising strength or fatigue life.

The first one I'm working on will work on XJ/MJ w/4.0, all years - and I'll have to see what else it will work on later. If need be, I'll design parts for the 4cyl and the V8 later - but that's later. I've got to finish the projects that are already on my desk now!

5-90

great....let me know...I'll take 2.

langer1 said:
Little more noise, little less mileage, much better cooling. FYI Autozone has clutch spacers so you can remove the clutch if you want.
Noise as in air circulating noise, or noise as in 'something wrong in the engine bay making a grinding noise"?

Being that I have 3 cars, It's not 100% my only DD, but I don't want to have to stay on top of the fan with inspections or have a premature water failure if that's the case.

5-90 said:
Noise as in rushing air - pinning a fan clutch should not cause any "self-clearancing" issues.

5-90
Noise will not be a problem for me, I need a hearing aid as it is, lol.

What about the water pump life?

OEM is best. I've tried aftermarket units they sucked. DO NOT get the Carquest brand. I got two defective units from them in a row. They were just defective for different reasons. :doh: I've since found out that its all too common with their units. I got an OEM for right around $100 and it made a world of difference. Sometimes OEM is best.

No change - the fan runs on the front of an idler pully, and the water pump is elsewhere. The water pump is the "bare" pully right over the crankshaft, and you'll note that the belt-driven fan is off to the pax side - the idler shaft and bearings are part of the AC Compressor support bracket. Yes, you have to replace the whole damn thing if the bearings go out. No, the last one I bought didn't cost much. No, I haven't designed a serviceable assembly yet (not enough sample parts to tear to bits yet...)

5-90

Back