• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

92 XJ starts then dies

muddy92xj

NAXJA Forum User
it would not start at all. So i got a crank sencer for it. My father starts it right up and its fine for a while. Now starts then dies, but it starts right back up for a while. So what could this be? ALso, is 150 good for front roters and pads? was thinking that was high. thanks for the help mike

with the key on you should have voltage there. its a really fine wire wrapped around ceramic. the create a lot of heat and break down. only about $ 6 if you don't have voltage there with key on, it's shot badge714

muddy92xj said:
if its shot is it burnt? thx
You can't tell by looking at it, just jump it out and see if it helps. I sounds like your not getting fuel. you also need to test the fuel pressure on the rail with a gauge to be sure.You could have, in no order, A bad pump, filter plugged, broken hose in the tank, bad relay. bad regulator.

muddy92xj said:
Hi, i back to figure this out. fuel is there. Ran fine for a long time and now id dead again. Seams to have no spark. Any ideas? thanks for the help mike
Seam's to have no spark, what do your mean? It either has spark or it don't.

Check the ignition module. It may be going bad. Sometimes you'll have spark, sometimes you won't. I had the same problem on my '90.

Just checked again, no spark at all. What and where is the ignition module? Just cleaned the 2 wiers and they are snug. Ok, so what else could it be? thanks for the help guys
mike

muddy92xj said:
Just checked again, no spark at all. What and where is the ignition module? Just cleaned the 2 wiers and they are snug. Ok, so what else could it be? thanks for the help guys
mike
It sounds like a bad CPS unplug and and reconnect it and try to start it again. Many times that will get it going for a short time. You will need to change the CPS to fix it right though.

langer1 said:
It sounds like a bad CPS unplug and and reconnect it and try to start it again. Many times that will get it going for a short time. You will need to change the CPS to fix it right though.

If changing the CPS doesn't do it, I would check the ignition module. On my '90, it sits right under the coil. It's worth checking out. Auto Zone can test it for you. If the module turns out to be ok, then I would next check the CAM sensor in the distributor.

muddy92xj said:
Anyone...help PLEASE
What kind of test equipment do you have? We can tell you what and how but you need something to work with.
1.Multi-meter.
2.Pressure gauge.
The CPS is on the bellhousing at about 1:00, drivers side.

Back