• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to clean the gas tank..

Biernuts

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gonna pull the tank off tonight. Me thinks there may be some sludge, gunk, goo and slime since the fuel is 2.4 years old and the engines not running to well with it (not at all actually)...I DID get it to run for a few minutes last night at VERY high RPM's...and it was spewing the most vile of brown smoke...

What the best way to clean the inside of the tank at home?

Kerosene? Turpentine? PPB? Wild Turkey?

....or should I just have it boiled?

Biernuts said:
I'm gonna pull the tank off tonight. Me thinks there may be some sludge, gunk, goo and slime since the fuel is 2.4 years old and the engines not running to well with it (not at all actually)...I DID get it to run for a few minutes last night at VERY high RPM's...and it was spewing the most vile of brown smoke...

What the best way to clean the inside of the tank at home?

Kerosene? Turpentine? PPB? Wild Turkey?

....or should I just have it boiled?
Acetone

I would do the simple things first. Pull the hose running to the fuel filter and extend it into a bucket. Turn on the key and let the fuel pump run until the tank is dry, but no longer.

Replace the fuel filter and fill with a full tank of gas and a can of BG44K. I would then think of replacing the fuel filter again after a few tanks. They are fairly cheap. A common problem after sitting is dried out and clogged injectors. Yes gas gets stale, but it isn't normally fatal.

I wouldn't waste my time pulling the tank right now. The BG44K will take care of most issues. It may take a few miles for the injectors to clean up. By the way, watch for leaks around the injectors since it has set so long the o-rings may be hard.

I wouldn't waste my time pulling the tank right now. The BG44K will take care of most issues. It may take a few miles for the injectors to clean up. By the way, watch for leaks around the injectors since it has set so long the o-rings may be hard.
__________________--------------------
I added 10 gallons of fresh to probably 2 gallons of old gas, a can of BG44K, new plugs, cap/rotor, air filter, plug wires. Very hard to start and once it does, it won't stay running BUT sometimes it WILL idle really smooth for about 15-20 seconds then chugs and dies. I can keep it running feathering the accel but I can tell not all the cylinders are not firing all the time then it starts backfiring...and the exhast is getting VERY hot from the cat on back...I think the unburnt fuel is getting cooked in the cat. If I wiggle a couple of the injectors while it's running I get a bit of seepage but not much. I will be replacing these ASAP too.

Here's my plan as of now....

Fuel Pump Ballast - (checked...OK)
Drain tank - Refill with BG44K and new gas
Check AGAIN for vacuum leaks
Injectors (replace O rings first)
Check Fuel Pressure (already did, it's getting gas at the rail)
Coil
Fuel Pump (appears to be working, system under pressuer)
EGR Valve (already bought new one but old one appears to be working...)
Clogged Cat (un hook and see if it runs better w/o?)
MAP Sensor
TPS (throttle Position Sensor)
O2 Sensor pull and test
IAC (idle air control) motor
Fuel Pump Relay
Fuel Lines
Crank position Sensor

Check and make sure the hose to the MAP is hooked up and fine, Start it let it idle and then grab the lever on the TPS and rotate it. Does the engine die? If so, the TPS is most likely good. I would simply try to get it on the road for a couple of miles and see if the injectors clean out.

Could it be that the BG44K did desolve the crud but now what in the tank is just no good. Could be a good bit of water in there also.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I had my fingers crossed that when I added 10g of Good Gas to 2g of Bad + the BG44K I would have a good enough mix to run on....

My guess is I know have 12 gallons of cloudy, flammable gas with $26.00 worth of BG44K and a touch of water.

It'll burn...just not in an internal combustion engine.

I will check the MAP again to make sure it's hooked up tho.

Back