• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slightly Modified.....

I

IntrepidXJ

Quote from info page:

A stock or slightly modified Cherokee can manage most of the Moab trails,

I am really wanting to attend this event, but I want to make sure it's gonna be worth it for me in my slightly modified XJ?

I currently have a 2" lift, rock rails, gas skid, TC skid, front skid, 30x9.5 MT's, jks disconnects, front and rear tow points, and all the other required equipment specified by NAXJA.

Will I be OK with this setup?

Any suggestions that aren't very expensive, because I am on a tight budget?

thanks for your input.

You can go on many of the trails that will be run at this event. Don't hesitate at all to join us. Mike from NJ goes all over Moab with a similar setup.

I ran several 3+ and 4 rated trails during Jeep Safari one year with 30" tires, open diffs and a 2" budget boost when I was transitioning between XJ's. You'll do just fine and be glad that you made the trip. The XJ platform is a perfect fit for Moab's terrain, with plenty of fun trails to run.

Goatman wrote:

Mike from NJ goes all over Moab with a similar setup

Actually, I did even better on some obstacles (like Tip Over Challenge) the year I was there on 235's with a negative lift up front! :rolleyes:

Jeff and Richard are absolutely correct, Moab trails seem to be made for XJ's and you should be fine. In fact, even if (for some reason) you never even tried some of the moderate runs, the so-called "scenic" runs are stunning in that area and have a reasonable amount of challenge as well. Don't stay home Randy - your rig is fine.

You are nicely armored, but, depending on how much your budget is - a set of good rock rails (e.g. C4x4) would be a good investment. And even a simple limited slip in the back would enhance your capabilities (although XJeeper, among others, proved that open diffs don't necessarily hurt you in Moab)

(Note to the rest of you guys: the 30's are history - I'd been running 31's, but after installing my fabulous new custom bumper from that wisened old Utahanianite, I decided to spoil Red just a bit more, so my brandy-new 32X11.50 MTR's are just about mounted. Of course, given what seems to be an inverse relationship between my success at Moab and rig capabilities, I might not get out of the parking lot at SlickRock this year! :D )

Three months!!!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Last edited:
Mike in NJ said:
Goatman wrote:

You are nicely armored, but, depending on how much your budget is - a set of good rock rails (e.g. C4x4) would be a good investment.

already got a set of very beefy rock rails a local friend made for me:

DSC00007.JPG

Well, based on your responses, I will not worry about it then, and will try my hardest to attend. I already got the time off from work....now I just need to finish fixing a few minor problems with the XJ before then, and save up a little money for the trip :)

Randy,
You will do just fine. Moab is a made to fit XJ fun park. Sounds like your XJ is setup fine for many of the trails. That along with the expert trail guides and spotters, your experience at Moab will have you coming back when ever possible. You will be very happy that you made the trip. You will then join the many of us in testifying to other new attendies about how great it is in Moab!

Casper

Mike in NJ said:

(Note to the rest of you guys: the 30's are history - I'd been running 31's, but after installing my fabulous new custom bumper from that wisened old Utahanianite, I decided to spoil Red just a bit more, so my brandy-new 32X11.50 MTR's are just about mounted. Of course, given what seems to be an inverse relationship between my success at Moab and rig capabilities, I might not get out of the parking lot at SlickRock this year! :D )

Three months!!!

Mike in NJ :patriot:

Oh my gawd! Mike has gone to 32's. :eek: :eek:

What's this world coming to? ;) :D

Open diffs are no problem

We just got back from Moab where my youngest daughter ran her XJ with open diffs. We even did Pritchett Canyon. Of course she had to be tugged up Rocker Knocker and Rock Pile. That's to be expected. She even made Yellow Hill on her own. Even a well locked rig had to be pulled up that one. With good armor it's really all about driver skill.

Back