• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tell a Dana 35 from a Dana 44

hockeyplurr

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but couldnt find anything and Im in a bind for time. Im about to go look at an Xj and was wondering if anyone had any pics of a dana 35 and a dana 44 so I can know which one this Xj has. Thanks for the help

might also be a 8.25, this pic is a good reference for identifying axles.

00047745.jpg

straight from www.mallcrawlin.com

Dana 35's use a rubber plug. Dana 44 has an angular housing. 8.25 has a flat lower case.

Starboard M said:
Could you just say that if there is a bulge in the cover, then its a 44? Obviously if its not a 8.25 and a 60.

No, the D35 cover has a bulge, that's just a poor diagram.

Seriously though, if you can't tell the difference in shape btwn an oval and a kinda-diamond, you got bigger things to be worrying about. ;)

DCP01650.jpg

the 86 and older D35s also sometimes have a metal fill plug, they are not always rubber.

stoneattic said:
If it's broke it's a D35.
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

The old fart scratches his chin and sez....yup...pictures are better than a thousand words....ummm...I ain't broke my 35 yet....I "corrected" some problems from a crappy, yet high priced gear install. But then again...I don't do 5K rpm sidestep the clutch tricks....and when I'm stuck, it's time for the snatch-rope and one of my buddies with the militaries and 49s. :laugh3:

Approach the vehicle from the rear quarter and give it a healthy shove. If the wheel nearest you falls out onto the pavement with a lengthy chunk of axle attached to it - that's a Dana 35.

Back