• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long will a cat converter live?

Bradlybob

NAXJA Forum User
I just pulled my exhaust system apart to check my cat and it looks fine. It's the original, 91, 4.0, 213k miles. My last smog check was fine but since I have it all disconnected should I just go ahead and replace it? Do these things live forever?

I've only replaced them if they sound like they have rocks in them. But they can also plug up. You can test the pressure and see if that's the case. But if it's ok I would not throw money at it just because it's appart. What I would replace is/are the o2 sensors. (some have 2) They deteroiate with age and and cause more gas to be used. Then the converters run hotter and melt causing the rattle. Locally regular gas is $2.69 per gallon so using more gas is not a option!

JoBo

FWIW my 96 has just started the rattle thing at 175k. I think over 200k If I had the cat off I'd replace it as a matter of course, but I havn't looked into the cost yet..

BTW My rattling converter hasn't cost me gas yet (18-20)

gjxj said:
FWIW my 96 has just started the rattle thing at 175k. I think over 200k If I had the cat off I'd replace it as a matter of course, but I havn't looked into the cost yet..

BTW My rattling converter hasn't cost me gas yet (18-20)

The rattle can also be coming from the shield around it.

My Cat Converter on my 1990 XJ, with 278,000+, was replaced at about 265,000 miles, after it failed. A quick tune-up and she was ready to go. The tech I spoke to was quick to point out that it finally failed due to age, mileage and harsh Colorado winters. This was after two other so-called mechanics failed to find the cause of low power, failing acceleration and bad gas mileage.
Always trust a man who has an XJ of his own.

BD

I can make it rattle just by shaking by hand and I don't see anything loose externally..will take another look though. I'm inclined to not fix it until it actually causes a problem..

My off road vehicles are all pre-cat, a 1978 360 Dodge Power Wagon and a 76 304 CJ5.

So what happens it you drive a nearly red hot cat into 2' of water?

gjxj said:
I can make it rattle just by shaking by hand and I don't see anything loose externally..will take another look though. I'm inclined to not fix it until it actually causes a problem..

I would replace it. You already have everything apart, and whatever is rattling around now will soon end up clogging up the muffler. My wife's uncle had a max speed of 40mph when his cat went...

I got a direct-fit Magnaflow/Car-Sound for my 93 for $70 from SummitRacing. Had to wait a couple weeks (back-ordered). You can find the P/N for yours at magnaflow.com. There's also a guy on ebay that sells the universal-fit ones (performancepeddler...I think).

langer1 said:
My off road vehicles are all pre-cat, a 1978 360 Dodge Power Wagon and a 76 304 CJ5.

PowerWagons rule. My 77 has 2 cats :flamemad: :flamemad: Damn California emissions. I guess I can delete the smog equipment if I just get a hood sticker from a "49 state" model. My PW has lived its ENTIRE life on the same block in my neighorhood though, it got passed 1 neighbor to another 4 times.

My cat gets wet (though not submersed) every so often when hot, doesn't seem to hurt anything.

Back