• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Gasket sealer or not to Gasket Sealer?

lilmatty

NAXJA Member #1246
Hi all. Just replaced the rear seal on the 94XJ. Looking at the one piece NAPA gasket and thinking it doesn't need the red gasket goop. But I then think it wouldn't hurt. At worst it would seem a good idea to put the stuff on the rear part so it won't slip while installing.

Humble opinions anyone?

Last edited:
Rear seal?

If you're talking about the rear main seal, I've never needed to use anything on it - not even to seal the two halves together. There's enough protrusion that the ends will butt up nicely, and I've not had one leak.

For the oil pan, some sealer (usually RTV black) isn't a bad idea - careful application will help you when wrestling with everything down there. The one-piece oil sump gasket (later models - 96-up, I think?) is supposed to work with all 242 blocks, so that's something else to think about.

BE CAREFUL when installing the oil sump pan - that gasket (in either variety) is quite easy to crush, and crusing that gasket means you WILL be doing the job again! Take your time here...

As I recall, the 1/4-20 bolts want to be torqued to about 10 pound-feet, and the 5/16" bolts at the corners to 12 pound-feet or so. You can always nip them up just a bit - as long as it's a little bit. Too much, and get ready to tear everything to bits.

I also find it useful to get a set of SBChevvy valve cover studs (Stamped covers,) since installing two or three down each long rail really helps to keep thing in place one-handed - freeing up the other hand to reach for bolts, wrenches, whatever. A cheap fix to a really annoying problem...

If we're not talking about the rear main seal, I just need more information to see what we're about...

5-90

5-90, the question just pertained to the oil pan gasket itself. Rear seal itself is back in an torqued.

Thanks for the reply.

I would suggest not using any sealer on the rear of the oil pan seal. Just a dab of silicone in the corners where the rear main cap meets the block is all you need. Any sealant on the end seal will most likely act as a lubricant and cause the seal to move out of position once fully torqued down. I use some 3m spray adhesive (part# 8090) to hold the gasket in place while the pan is installed. Some silicone only in the corners, and you should be good.

Back