• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 8274 Bumper build up

hman333

NAXJA Forum User
Design has started and we are measureing for how much steel we need.

Construction begins tommorow.

Here is the cadd Drawing:
(the top plateing has been left off in order to view the structure, as well as the bottom plate under the winch, these will add to the structural integrity but have been left out of the drawing)

p59-1124078424.jpg

here is one with the plates:

p59-1124079757.jpg

Here is the full size model we made out of cardboard:

p59-1124076467.jpg

should look similar to this when we are finished:

(except for an 8274)

web3_FbW_with_winch_640_256c_P6230017.JPG

Last edited:
just paint the cardboard one and call it a day...better yet, just put more duct tape over it. looks like the design id like to build, good luck

ya, the last one is a rigidco...we started building today and have most of the center frame made...will post pictures tonight

well...we got the center Winch plate part of the bumper done today...will finish the wings thursday. here are some buildup pics we took:

Fresh meat:

p59-1124179077.jpg

First few brackets coming together:
(these are welded and bolted to the C4x4 Tow hook frame braces)
p59-1124179096.jpg

Front plate after drilling and grinding the corners off:

p59-1124179111.jpg

Weld holding the plate on:

p59-1124179126.jpg

Angle iron support:

p59-1124179147.jpg

Bare winch plate:

p59-1124179163.jpg

0n the jeep:

p59-1124179184.jpg

Its going together just like the Cadd Drawing...And I am liking it so far. we ahvent ground down any welds yet and it is looking nice.

Any comments, questions, critisizm?

are you welding that w/ a flux core welder? i cant tell what it is, something looks weird about the welds, not bad....just weird

I think you're right about the flux core wire...that looks like that'd explain the white/gray powder around the welds.

are all your front plate welds in shear? or is there some piece of solid non-welded metal on there that i dont see?

XJ_ranger said:
are all your front plate welds in shear? or is there some piece of solid non-welded metal on there that i dont see?

Im not sure exactly what you are asking...there are vertical and horizontal welds onto the front plate...but the front plate is held on by at least 12 welds. You can look at the top Autocad drawing and see how it goes together...

We finally got around to finishing the xj bumper...but didnt have a camera in the shop...we also painted my tire carrier. What do you guys think?

p59-1124519607.jpg

p59-1124519629.jpg

p59-1124519643.jpg

p59-1124519654.jpg

p59-1124519671.jpg

dude - you scored a lunch table out of the deal too!

did you consider cutting into the grill and that lower bulkhead a little to move the winch back?
if so - what kept you from doing that? (for my own info)

not to hi-jack, but I have often wondered why we don't see more of cutting into face of grill to move winch and bumper back....

I want a winch, but all the winch bumpers seem to really take away that front approach angle!

anybody have any pics of one moved back?

Red97XJ said:
not to hi-jack, but I have often wondered why we don't see more of cutting into face of grill to move winch and bumper back....

I want a winch, but all the winch bumpers seem to really take away that front approach angle!

anybody have any pics of one moved back?

It does weaken the grill considerably, but it provides ample room.

is.php

is.php

Back