• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix mod- question?

Ed in North Ga.

NAXJA Forum User
ran into something weird, thought maybe one of the renix gods in here can shed some light for me, because I`m stumped.

I had an idea that I finally had time to do- i took out my airbox and put silver tape on the hot side, and finally completely removed the old directional flapper that gives the airbox heat/cold from the mainifold tube.

While doing this, I noticed there was, in fact a restrictor-just like the newer jeeps have, in the airbox to intake tube- fyi: its for the venturi effect for the gas canister purge- I popped that out and half plugged the hole going to the canister. I thought about it, and decided it wouldnt be wise to completely block it off...so half would do. I doubt that old canister even works with 200,000+ on her anyway.

OK?-test run.
my jeep is funny- it runs down the highway at 1400rpm, 5th gear at 60. She does in fact get the magical 30mpg because I dont live in a city, I dont have any stop and go driveing, and wwhen I do go anywhere, its a long way-so steady driveing at 60mph.

With the mods done, I lost my 2ed gear pickup...it wont push me back in the seat anymore, it just kind of flows...the power is still there, its just in a wider area. The jeep dosent pull nearly as hard as it did in lower rpms...its moved up to 2000 rpms-then it pulls like a whino trying to get a bottle of wine....hard. funny thing however, now it ambles along in 5th gear at 60mph....at 1200rpm. This may sound good...but in reality it isnt, thats too slow-the engines praticly lugging ...great for carbon buildup and overheating.

got it?
question time: Why would allowing more air into the airbox, with the same flat filter, give it less low end power, and greater high end power? I would have thought it to be completely opposite- more air avialable at low rpm, greater power off the line....one would think I put on a highflow exhaust the way its acting.

Does the removal of the restrictor (gas canister venturi) have anything to do with it....? Do the renix computers adjust for this sort of thing? I know the OBD11s would...

I`ll await someone whos run into this before .....before I put it back in.
I want to check the gas mileage with it out for a tankfull first anyway

well, tested her out today, interstate style-

anywhere from 65 on up to 85+ is extremely smooth now- quite a bit more power...but its the same deal, the power is there, its just smoother and more spread out....the low end is now gone ...which still confuses me...I now have *appearently* a broder torque curve in the higher rpms...it seems to start at 60mph....instead of 20....

more available air+ same gas+ easier route to the cylinders (should) make more low end power....I mean, theres really not THAT much difference going through that same airfilter (OEM)....I just opened its sinus`s.

it wont spin tires now. :rattle:

BUT- I`ll wait it out for a tank full of gold...no since in going back to the way it was if it saves a bit of that liquid.

Back