• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sounds like valve clatter?

ken johnson

NAXJA Forum User
My 89xj 4.0 has recently began making engine noise. It sounds like valve clatter. Is an adjustment possible? Runs good w/120,000 miles, but I don't like a noisy engine. What about "engine flush", "engine restore"and those kinda products that claim to quiet engines? Anybody had good results?:confused:

welcome to the world of higher mileage 4.0 piston slap.most of the 4.0's do this,it's fairly common with a lot of miles.mine does the same thing.i have a '92 H.O. with 192,000 miles.keep the oil changed about every 2500 miles and don't over rev the engine,baby it and it should last another 100,000 miles.NAXJA member#579.

When I got my 89, it was obvious that the prev. owner had not changed the oil as often as he should from the coke deposits in the valve cover and and the head. I changed the valve cover and disturbed some of that crunchy stuff. Afterwards, I had a lifter occasionally stick in cold weather. Frequent changes helped and using a filter with a good anti-drainback valve like Bosch helped too. When the oil drains out of the cheap filters at engine shutdown, the dirty side of the filter dumps to the pan. Try a good oil and a good filter and frequent changes and maybe if its lifters you hear, the trash will get blown out of the offending lifter-this is what apparently happened to me. Valve Clatter @124K - No valve clatter @144K. Use the lowest recommended viscosity for the temp range for a while.

Back