• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backup light wiring

DaveD912

NAXJA Forum User
I want to wire up some aux. backup lights. I think I can use my trailer wiring harness to trigger it on when in reverse (correct me if I'm wrong). What I need to know is the best route to the battery for power. I doubt I should use any of the stock wiring to run 55w lights. Should I just run along a brake cable or try to get the wire inside? I've never pulled up the carpets but it doesn't sound too hard.

Thanks, Dave

I don't think the trailer wiring includes backup lights. You could use the stock backup light to trigger a relay, though. Definitely run the wiring inside...just make sure the wire is under a "low-traffic" area. I always try to run wiring along the outer edge of the carpet (under the plastic edging - is that what it's called?). You know, the part just inside the door...

edit: also a good idea to take the SHORTEST path from the battery to avoid complications.

Back