• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking Hubs..

Andrew

NAXJA Forum User
I want to buy locking hubs for 94 XJ and was wondering where to get them.. any one konw of a hood place to purchase some !?!

Locking hubs never came on the XJ/MJ. You can get a conversion kit from Warn, but it is rather spendy, around $700-$800 last I checked. Also keep in mind that these kits are not super strong, so you will be limited on tire size.

For better gas milage on te road is the main reason, specially with gas prices the way theyy are now and less wear and tair on the front diff and drive shaft.(I think)

Andrew said:
For better gas milage on te road is the main reason, specially with gas prices the way theyy are now and less wear and tair on the front diff and drive shaft.(I think)
Even with todays gas prices you will not see enough of a increase to make any differance, yet alone ever payback the $800.00 for them.

You would be better off replacing the D30 with a disco unit. That would be less money and give you the same basic effect. Then get a manual control or rig up your own vacuum control(less money). Junkyard Disco D30s can be had cheap, or buy one off the board.

Does any one know where I can find what fornt/rear differential I have? I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Country 4x4 of corse.

Its a D30, but may not be a disco style. Look at the front end, on the passenger side where the upper control arm mounts. If it is cast iron and there is a vacuum pot at the bottom, its a disco. If the mount is stamped steel and the axle tube is solid with no vacuum pot, its a non disco.

Andrew, when in 2WD there's no load on the front diff and driveshaft, therefore very little wear on those parts. Sure they're spinning, but the energy it takes to get them up to speed is so miniscule it's not worth mentioning. The biggest point of drag is the front ring gear running through the lube, so you might try changing to a synthetic gear lube to (slightly) increase mileage.

Chrysler engineers figured this out in the early 90's, when they dropped the front disconnect on Jeeps. The current set-up is stronger and more simple, so I'd keep it...... :)

Back