• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking at the Tom Woods SYE

Jeep839

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm looking at the toms woods sye for a np 242 for my 90 xj and i really don;'t see the reason why i would give him $500.00net (not to mention the $900.00 up front, the price's on the website are wrong i called them about an hour ago) why would i want to give him $500.00 for a seal, driveshaft, and yoke. when i could find a yoke for probably $50.00 and go to the driveshaft place down the street get a shaft done for $150.00 and do the cutting of the shaft myself on a lathe? could anyone tell me why tom woods other then he is a good guy and good to work with.

Jeep839 said:
so i'm looking at the toms woods sye for a np 242 for my 90 xj and i really don;'t see the reason why i would give him $500.00net (not to mention the $900.00 up front, the price's on the website are wrong i called them about an hour ago) why would i want to give him $500.00 for a seal, driveshaft, and yoke. when i could find a yoke for probably $50.00 and go to the driveshaft place down the street get a shaft done for $150.00 and do the cutting of the shaft myself on a lathe? could anyone tell me why tom woods other then he is a good guy and good to work with.

Other than being a great guy, and offer great service, no. However, as an example of his service, just this afternoon I emailed him to get a part no. for the seal in my SYE (so I could go buy one, I mean after all, seals DO wear out), as it has developed a leak. He emailed me back within 10 minutes with a tracking no. for the new tailcone he was sending me with an epoxied seal to replace the defective one in mine.... AWSOME SERVICE!! :kissyou:

He has actually changed the seal design in the tail housing. I went through two different epoxy seals, in about 2 weeks. THe seal was fine, jus the epoxy broke down, I am guessing driving a straight 400 miles heats things up a little bit and the epoxy can't handle the heat. So talkng with him, I guess somebody with the same problem, found a press in seal that you have to bore the tail housing out and then press this new seal in. I got the first one over nighted from him, just in time to install it that weekend. Great guy Tom is, talked with one of the service guys and told him my problem, he wasn't sure what to tell me, then Tom called me back and told me about the new set-up and I had it the next day, free of charge and he paid the shipping both ways. Thanks Tom.

On your 90, though I am not sure if you'll get the late model Yoke set-up, I would ask for it if you can, you get a serviceable CV joint. This is very important specially if you live in the North/Salt areas of the country.

I know a intial $900 is a bit much, but as long as you send him the parts back, you get you core refund. The only other thing you could do is find a 231 and pick up a $169 PORC HD SYE, probably cheaper and stronger in the long run, but you loose the Full-time advantage of the 242.

for that much money buy a junkyard 231, new chain and bearings from JB conversions for $120, and a HD AA SYE from PORC for $200 shipped so you'll have the peace of mind of having a smooth running and much heavier duty Tcase. That is, assuming you don't mind swapping to a 231.

yes a driveshaft comes witht the kit but i can get one for alot cheaper as stated above. and all i keep hearing is that the only good reason to get this kit is b/c tom is a good guy like stated above. it's just alot of money for a sye my opinion

Back