• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel Install Question

white99z

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to head up to my work to start installing my snorkel that I have had for 2 and a half months (just never got around to it). When I had my TJ I remember reading that the templates for TJs were a little bit off. Did anyone have any problems installing them on their XJs? Were the templates fine? I have a 95 XJ. Thanks for your help.

the template was fine on my 91 (after i put it in the right spot) but if i was you i would do some searching. you'll soon find out that in order for it to work correctly you'll need to reroute the hose, ARB has it routed down in front of the tire making it very prone to getting a hole/tear in it. most people route there hose so that it makes an immediate 90 after leaving the snorkel then attach to the rear or side of the airbox and plug the original front hole. If you're really wanting to spend some money swap the airbox to something like what i did.

808664_36_full.jpg

you can find the rest of my write up here

https://driven2services.com/staging/naxja/xf/index.php?threads/59845/

Dingo

white99z said:
yes, how do i plug the hole in the front of the airbox

you have a couple options, i have a plastic supply house not far from here, so i would cut off the extension on the airbox then glue a new piece over the hole maybe add some rivets and silicone to ensure a watertight seal. you could prolly do the same thing with a piece of metel too.

Dingo

You can also pull the flap out of the nozzle on the end of the box, cot the nozzle off, and use black silicone to glue the flap over the hole. If you turn it over one way it will almost "snap" in place. I did that to one of mi XJ's to make poor-man's snorkel that pulled air out of the cowl area by the wiper motor. It worked real well, as long as the water did not go over the top of the hood's back edge. Think "stealth-snorkle", if you like.

ren said:
You can also pull the flap out of the nozzle on the end of the box, cot the nozzle off, and use black silicone to glue the flap over the hole. If you turn it over one way it will almost "snap" in place.

Good idea, i'll defenintly remember that next time i work on an older renix system :laugh3: the newer XJ's do not have the heat bypass system in them.

Seriously though that's good info, as im supposed to be helping out a friend with an 89 build a snorkel next weekend.

Dingo

Back