• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antenna Mount question

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
Bought one of those ball style CB Antenna Mounts so I'm thinking about mounting it above the fuel door above the body crease/line or right above '4.0 litre' on the tailgate. It's a 90 XJ so the tailgate is fibreglas. Are there any major pros or cons with either or these areas?

The body should be able to hold up the weight of an 8' fibreglas whip or a 102" stainless whip without hurting anything or cracking the tailgate right?

The hatch is the best of the two because it is behind the vehicle and not sticking out to the sides.

Make sure you use a spring. Otherwise if the antenna catches something it will rip it out of the fiberglass.

Also, the metal above the fuel door is pretty thin. I had one mounted there also. It is enough to flex the sheet metal when driving at highway speeds. And if it catches something it could bend the panel. I had this happen to me.

FWIW

Brian

Thanks, I know that my ball mount says it can be used on a groundless surface but will mounting it on the tailgate pose any range problems?

I would not mount it in either of those locations without significant reinforcement of those areas.

If you mount it to the fiberglass hatch you might need to consider a seperate ground for it.

Michael

For range the center of your roof is best by far. The hatch would be the worst because the antenna needs the metal at the base to tune. That leaves the side as the second best location.

white99z said:
I dont mean to hijack the thread or anything but I was thinking of making a bracket for behind the taillight to install my firestick. Has anyone done this? Do you have pics?
That will work but range would be limited and very directional.

My mount doesn't ground at the mounting location, there's a wire. I've got a magnet mount but it gets ripped off from the many trees here...

Just remember, even if you don't wheel trails with trees, as soon as you mount the antenna on the side you'll grab your first tree with it.

Have you considered a hood channel mount?
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

According to the people at Firestik the front fender hood channel mount is nearly a perfect place for reception - and quick removal.

tdr1213 said:
Just remember, even if you don't wheel trails with trees, as soon as you mount the antenna on the side you'll grab your first tree with it.

Have you considered a hood channel mount?
http://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

According to the people at Firestik the front fender hood channel mount is nearly a perfect place for reception - and quick removal.
Thanks for the tip, I'm looking for something permanent and those won't pass inspection here otherwise I'd do one of those.

Although not centered, I mounted the antennas for my CB and 2 Meter to the roof of the XJ, approx. 8 inches from the edge of the rear hatch. Ran the wiring between the roof and the headliner. Just have to remember to unscrew the antennas before I pull into the carport. Didn't take real long to do and makes a nice clean install.

tdr1213 said:

I learned this one the hard way (I'm using the AJ taillight mount as well). Solution: spring mount, available for about half what Rat Shack sells them for at your local truck stop. I'm using it with this antenna - which, at $17 and destined to be abused on the trail, is a better deal than spending more on a Firestik or similar.

Zoro said:
Thanks for the tip, I'm looking for something permanent and those won't pass inspection here otherwise I'd do one of those.

Wont pass inspection where??

The hood channel mount is the 2nd best place to mount other than centered on the roof. It will support 4ft Firestik II's and hold em well. (make sure you grind off any paint underneath the mounting area and use a slightly bigger and longer stainless self-tap screw than the ones Firestik gives you. I used a split-lock washer as well to keep pressure on the screws. I have great SWR's across the board.

Rocketman said:
Wont pass inspection where??

The hood channel mount is the 2nd best place to mount other than centered on the roof. It will support 4ft Firestik II's and hold em well. (make sure you grind off any paint underneath the mounting area and use a slightly bigger and longer stainless self-tap screw than the ones Firestik gives you. I used a split-lock washer as well to keep pressure on the screws. I have great SWR's across the board.

Can you show me a picture of the mount and the finished product, please.

Back