• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 vs 44 brake questions...

Brendon001

NAXJA Forum User
I've attempted to search for information on this, but must be entering the wrong search criteria - can't imagine that the question hasn't been asked. I've just bolted up a D44 in the rear of my '85 XJ in place of the stock D35 - this is the XJ-specific version of the D44. I've known all along that the D35 drums wouldn't simply bolt up without modification, but the shop that built the axle for me said that all I'd have to do is hog out the center of the backing plate to clear the shaft bearing. The bolt pattern is identical, but it looks like I need to enlarge the center hole by around 1/4". Has anyone done this? It almost seems a little TOO easy. Am I missing something? Brakes are something that I'm not willing to take risks on.

should work.whats wrong with the brake parts or getting brake parts for the 44?

Brakes are something that I'm not willing to take risks on.

this statement would leave me to believe you aren't a cheap 455 when it comes to brakes.so if you are worried about the 35s backing plate not working or fitting if you take a 1/4 inch out around the center hole then go buy the right parts to fit the axle you have.i mean really what would it cost you to go buy the parts needed maybe 50 bucks for the pads,20 maybe for a spring kit,and another 100 for drums.

the only reason i could think of using the 35 backing plate would be because your are either missing the backing plate or they were trashed beyond using.

RCP, thanks for the link - that's all I needed to know. Just wanted to know that hogging out the center of the backplate was a common occurance.
That said, I'd like to swap in some rear discs before too long. The brakes are at their limit as it is.

So the Dana 35 backing plate is the exact same thickness as the 44 backing plate and will not affect the proper preload on the bearings?

The Teraflex kit comes with a spacer for bearing preload. After a lot of pondering I ended up using it on my install. It hasn't been quite two years yet, but everything has worked out to this point.

Just a short update, so the thread isn't left open-ended...

The brakes from the stock Dana 35 fit the Dana 44 perfectly, with only minor modification. The center of the backplate just needs to be ground out so that the axle bearing can pass through, everything else works fine.

Back