• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

These tires are like "cheating"

BIGWOODY

NAXJA Forum User
After running several varieties of swampers,mtrs, etc.. I got a set of 39" Krawlers. I'll start by saying I wouldn't drive them on the road if I wanted to keep them for any length of time. Aside from that, I've never had such a noticable difference in the way a tire performed than with these. I went to my usual wheeling spot and pretty much walked through everything without spinning a tire. The one obstacle that usualy does require heating up the swampers to get over only required a little more throttle than a crawl to make it. If you're debating on buying a set for offroad use only, they seem to be worth every cent thus far.

axc016.jpg

Last edited:
Problem with these tires is BFG won't sell them to you unless you are a registered competetitor for a rock crawling series (in the 39" size anyway) the 37"s can be bought no matter who you are. The Irocs work well to, my gripe with them is you get half a tire if you buy the 39's. The set we ordered new looked like they were half worn out from the lack of tread depth and they didn't seem to stick quite as well as the Krawlers. Just throwing this out as a little tire testing.

krawlers are great for dry rock, thats it, my buddy got a set and OMG they absolutly suck on the trails, damp rock, dirt, anything but dry rock

tealcherokee said:
krawlers are great for dry rock, thats it, my buddy got a set and OMG they absolutly suck on the trails, damp rock, dirt, anything but dry rock
interesting...cause most all of the east coast Urocc, nueroc, etc..run them and there's lots of slop at Jellico. I ran them in the mud when testing and they did better than my TSLsxs. There are also several different compounds of theses tires, your bud may have gotten a "dot approved" set instead of the red labels. I know they also dont do well on heavy rigs due to the narrowness of them, my rig tips the scales at about 3500lbs.

Friend has a set of 37s on his 80 series land cruiser and they work well everywhere. Even the street wear isn't that bad on them he has had them on there for over a year a trip from Colorado to Jacksonville, NC down to Parris Island a few times up to virgina once Uwharrie COuntless times and Tellico once (thousand mile round trip) The only thing that would piss me off is the 1600 dollar price tag to install a new set of FOUR.

BIGWOODY- where can I get more info on the buggy work?

he went from 33" boggers to 35" krawlers, hes locked, 4.88's and i usually have trouble following him

i was on 33" AT's (sold my 33" boggers, and was waiting out the 35's to get mounted) open diffs, 3.07's, walking up stuff he was winching himself out of....maybe cuz theyre siped?

I run Krawlers in the 35" size and I agree, they're the best tire I've ever run. I have yet to get them in snow, only had them a few months, but we'll find out soon enough. I love them on the rocks, in the mud, on the trails, etc. They replaced my MT/R's and they're just as good on the street, better everywhere else. My rig doesn't see much street time so road wear isn't an issue with me.

My $.02

John

BIGWOODY said:
After running several varieties of swampers,mtrs, etc.. I got a set of 39" Krawlers. I'll start by saying I wouldn't drive them on the road if I wanted to keep them for any length of time. Aside from that, I've never had such a noticable difference in the way a tire performed than with these. I went to my usual wheeling spot and pretty much walked through everything without spinning a tire. The one obstacle that usualy does require heating up the swampers to get over only required a little more throttle than a crawl to make it. If you're debating on buying a set for offroad use only, they seem to be worth every cent thus far.

axc016.jpg

I see you got that pesky sheetmetal problem taken care of. Looks nice!! What comps are you running?

I agree they hook up, lots of Arizona guys run them but they do rip easier then SXs or TSLs. The 42in Irok has larger lugs then the 39in Irok keep that in mind.

400 horses and a set of 39in krawlers filled with water are the only thing to get up this waterfall. SWEET.
7S_Jul_050032.sized.jpg

42s didnt help my buddie, but no 400 horses..
7S_Jul_050054.sized.jpg

ashmanjeepxj said:
42s didnt help my buddie, but no 400 horses..
7S_Jul_050054.sized.jpg

What kind of birf's is he running? How often does he break? Or is he still stuck with the puny 22re?

OneTonXJ said:
What kind of birf's is he running? How often does he break? Or is he still stuck with the puny 22re?

22re, dual cases, one case is 4.7. High pinnion front, low pinnion V6 rear.
He is running the 300M Birfs with chromolly shafts all around. He had a chart showing his shafts are stronger then stock d60 nechdown shafts (like mine), upgraded d60 shafts = no contest.

42s on toy axles is just sick.. three hard wheelers in our groups are running them on toyota's like this ont eh tough AZ trails. Jeff the other toyota in 42 Iroks in the group broke his drive shaft on the first of the 7 falls. Carrie is running them on his also, a FJ40 front with minitruck outers all upgraded, and a minitruck V6 rear, Hes got a nice super charged 22re on propane.

ashmanjeepxj said:
22re, dual cases, one case is 4.7. High pinnion front, low pinnion V6 rear.
He is running the 300M Birfs with chromolly shafts all around. He had a chart showing his shafts are stronger then stock d60 nechdown shafts (like mine), upgraded d60 shafts = no contest.

42s on toy axles is just sick.. three hard wheelers in our groups are running them on toyota's like this ont eh tough AZ trails. Jeff the other toyota in 42 Iroks in the group broke his drive shaft on the first of the 7 falls. Carrie is running them on his also, a FJ40 front with minitruck outers all upgraded, and a minitruck V6 rear, Hes got a nice super charged 22re on propane.
I run all cromo 35spline inner and outters on my HP60 and cromo 35 spline in the 9".....I love the gas and love putting on a show...I wish I had a little more clearance under the front diff at times, but being able to go at stuff full throttle is a nice trade off.. :sunshine:
Jeff 98XJ WI said:
No kidding, what happened to the rest of the MJ? :rolleyes: Jeff
An end over end roll

Flexj..I'm going to run the Vroc event in Oct. the wheels I bought came with a nice set of red lable 37 krawlers on them, so I'll swap them on to run stock/mod. By next spring/summer I should have an Unlimited buggy ready to go. I'm not building it this time, just ordering it minus a drivetrain.

Last edited:
Back