• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9"

GGR

NAXJA Forum User
Got a free 9" yesterday, and I wanna put it under the XJ, Are there any write-up's out there on swapping one into a XJ?
The axle is out of a 67-69 Cougar

I used search and did find a few bits of info, but nothing complete.

Any and all help/comments welcome.

Thanks

GGR said:
Got a free 9" yesterday, and I wanna put it under the XJ, Are there any write-up's out there on swapping one into a XJ?
The axle is out of a 67-69 Cougar

I used search and did find a few bits of info, but nothing complete.

Any and all help/comments welcome.

Thanks

Well...

irregardless of spline count, gearing, bolt pattern and brakes...

center under rig...

adjust pinion angle...

weld new perches at XJ width...

Basically all there is to it...

Get your driveshaft/pinion u-joints to match up...

Attach your brake lines...

try this thread or PM XJ_Ranger...he's finishing up a gawdugly banana colored Ford 9" swap...

http://www.opiebennett.com/rearaxle.htm

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51827&highlight=axle+swap

IMG_3382.jpg

Last edited:
Im in the middle of my 9" swap right now. Do it. The axle is a breeze to work on, parts are cheap and abundant, and it is easy to shave for more clearance. Check out my thread in the advanced fab forum.

I built a 9" several years ago based on an early mustang, so it's probably similar to the one you have out of a cougar. After breaking an axle within the first two weeks and bending the tube shortly after, I junked it and picked up a 9" out of an F150. Heavier axles, bigger bearings, thicker tubes and heavier steel for the center section. The center section is also shaped different on the heavier axles to act like more of a truss and support the tubes better. IMO, if you're going to spend the time and money building an axle, might as well hold out for a good one.

Yeah, it's probably a 28 spline small bearing unit.

I'd verify that before doing anything else.
Converting fro 28 spline to 31, 35, or even 40 is easy, but the small bearing thing sucks. You'd have to hack off the ends and put big bearing ends on it.

Early 2wd F150s are 61.75" WMS-WMS, 28 spline, big bearing (V8) usually. They're a good swap candidate if you don't want "Full" width (64"+ WMS).

JC97XJ said:
Yeah, it's probably a 28 spline small bearing unit.

I'd verify that before doing anything else.
Converting fro 28 spline to 31, 35, or even 40 is easy, but the small bearing thing sucks. You'd have to hack off the ends and put big bearing ends on it.

Early 2wd F150s are 61.75" WMS-WMS, 28 spline, big bearing (V8) usually. They're a good swap candidate if you don't want "Full" width (64"+ WMS).

Pre-1972 F100 Ford 9" are the narrower width (~61" WMS-WMS). 68-72 F100s are the ones to get for a Jeep. Most were indeed 28 spline as stated, but had the big bearings and the same brakes as the later F150 series, regardless of engine or transmission configuration. 31 spline axles were in fact available in those years and show up from time to time on car-part.com.
Late 50s through early 70s F100s had Dana 44s in some models instead of the 9". Sometime in the late 60s a semi-floater 5x5.5 Dana 60 rear end option existed. The F100 D44s are around, and might be a decent XJ swap for the right price. I have only actually seen a couple of the semi-float Ford D60s, and don't know much about them.

RKBA said:
Pre-1972 F100 Ford 9" are the narrower width (~61" WMS-WMS). 68-72 F100s are the ones to get for a Jeep. Most were indeed 28 spline as stated, but had the big bearings and the same brakes as the later F150 series, regardless of engine or transmission configuration. 31 spline axles were in fact available in those years and show up from time to time on car-part.com.
Yeah. That's what I said. :p

I have a 9" from a 67 F100 2wd.
It measures out at 61.75" from WMS to WMS (drums).
It's a good match for a Waggy D44 which is ~60.5 (Mine measured 60.625" but who's counting an eighth. lol)

Back