• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

79 F250 44?

XJCRAWLER

NAXJA Forum User
Purchased axles out 79 F250, 60 rear 44 front. The 44 has the left spring perch as part of the cast housing, what options do I have to mount brackets to this? Pictures would really be helpful.

i would fab a coil spring perch that uses the u bolts as part of the mount. also is that HP or LP on that 44?

Will

well this is the rear i used.i just wacked half the perch off to make room for the RE brackets to fit.

REbrackets4.sized.jpg

see the white line .that is how much i wacked off.it's fine the tube goes into the housing for about another 4" just like the other side.i did how ever have the tubes welded to the housing after this just incase

after being cut and brackets welded on

44done7.sized.jpg

Wil Badger said:
REbrackets4.sized.jpg

see the white line .that is how much i wacked off.it's fine the tube goes into the housing for about another 4" just like the other side.i did how ever have the tubes welded to the housing after this just incase

So after removing that much the RE bracket worked without (much?) modification?

Root Moose said:
So after removing that much the RE bracket worked without (much?) modification?

the knuckles were not turned.since it was a HP i had the caster set right and worried about driveline angle last.it was not a problem and drives fine .i had the brackets welded on by somebody.i don't trust my welding skills when it comes to suspension parts.once the axle tubes were cleaned and the housing was cut there was no modification to the RE brackets to make then work.had to open up the brackets a bit .they are made to go on a 30 not a 44 so the radius is a little bigger on the 44 tubes.

they did add this back brace to mine that goes around the housing

44done12.sized.jpg

44done10.sized.jpg

I don't know how I feel about cutting a large portion of the pumpkin out, I used the flat portion of the spring perch on BOTH sides as a base for the coil buckets. It kept them parallel and easy to set the center on, and I've seen no problems with the weld on the cast. Its not a particularly stressed weld though either.

when you cut it back it makes the housing no different then a 44 with cast or welded "Cs".infact you can see on the housing were it would end normally .the plug welds are still there ,the tube goes in just as far as on the other side.there is the same ammount of materail on both sides.it's not going anywhere.no need for worries

This is funny that you have this thread up. I just picked up the same set of axles from the same year F-250 about an hour ago. Now two of us can get info at the same time.

well i know you can use a cut disk and a grinder.thats what i was going to use.you just have to carefull of not nicking the tube to much when you do it.

now how was mine cut off with a lathe.the place i had weld the brackets had a big enough lathe to throw it on so they used it.but you can use a cut disk it takes some time but it's do able.as beefy as it is ,cast cuts like butter.

Wil, just a few questions:
How much lift is that?
What gear are you running?
Any lockers?
Any other info you might have for someone doing the same setup?

Here is what I have so far:
1998 XJ
4.5 Rusty's springs with 2 inch shackels and ACOS set at about 3 inches(ARB bumper)
Bushwacker flares
Tom Woods SYE and shaft

This is the stuff I have to be installed:
60 rear with discs and Crane cover
44 HP front with dual piston calipers, Crane cover, Parts Mikes high steer arms and 1 inch spacers
H2 hummer wheels

it could use a bit more gear .those sound good.will be a little whinny at and high rpm at highway driving but for offroad should be nice.

Back