• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 problems

92xjer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 XJ with a 3" lift and 33's ( and lots of fender trimming) tucked under rear TJ flares all the way around. Now the motor is giving me fits. It idles about 40 psi oil pressure cold but drops to nearly nothing at idle when warm. The temp runs up around 220 pretty easily. It smokes like a chimney after it is run for about an hour or so and it has what sounds like severe valve rattling when trying to hold speed up a hill. Also, it hesitates and sounds a lot like a belt slipping when it gears down. Time for a new motor?

If that motor ever overheated BAD. The pickup for the oil pump will clog.. trust me on this one. You may drop the pan and take a look. It cost me a motor. But the damage is probably done if its burning oil. If not I don't have a cat on my new set up (just a trail rig) and it doesn't burn a drop on a 120K junkyard motor. Sounds bad man. Blow by can be bad but I wouldn't think it would be enough to smoke.

92xjer said:
I have a 92 XJ with a 3" lift and 33's ( and lots of fender trimming) tucked under rear TJ flares all the way around. Now the motor is giving me fits. It idles about 40 psi oil pressure cold but drops to nearly nothing at idle when warm. The temp runs up around 220 pretty easily. It smokes like a chimney after it is run for about an hour or so and it has what sounds like severe valve rattling when trying to hold speed up a hill. Also, it hesitates and sounds a lot like a belt slipping when it gears down. Time for a new motor?

Sounds like your engine needs a rebuild. The low oil pressure suggests worn rod/main/cam bearings and the smoking suggests ring/bore wear. You could try 20W-50 oil and a Mopar filter and see if there's any improvement but that'll only delay the inevitable.
Start thinking about a stroker.

Back