• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running wierd

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 90 xj with a 4.0 & 5spd and 185k miles. During hurricane Ivan last year the roads got perty flooded so I had to drive thru a good bit of water, probably about hub high or more on the right side at good speed, I noticed afterwards that it would be really sluggish and want to stall out in the lower RPM's and once I hit a certain RPM it would be fine again until it dropped back down.

Lately it's been not wanting to start if I've let it sit for a few days and when it does start it takes longer than usual. Also it's been sluggish in the lower RPM's again until it warms up.

I'm thinking it's something electrical, any ideas?
Thanks

I get mine wet a lot, cleaning out the connectors is an ongoing process. The ones on the lower left of the block are hard to get to.
Some that are often overlooked are the conectors near the relay block in the motor bay. The igniton coil connectors and the connectors between the coil and the ICU under the coil.
I clean them all (eventually) every year. Some that look just fine, often make a noticeable difference in how she runs, after cleaning.
I found a little round nylon brush, used to clean between your teeth, that I´ve been using lately, with a good contact cleaner.
I´ve been looking for a set of contact brushes in the hobby cataloges, with no success yet. A computer guy I know has a set, that are a stiff bristle, with some brass bristles mixed in, that look just like what I need, but no luck on finding them yet.
Check the distributor cap good, the green stuff growing in there, is a moisture magnet and causes igniton, degradation. I change my cap, every year and the plugs every other year. A close look at the plug cable ends is also necessary, they also turn green and/or white.
Dielectric grease, is supposed to slow down oxidation. But some of the sensors are a tenth of a volt sensitive and dielectric grease does have a tiny bit of resistance.
Don´t forget to check the grounds.

Back