• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vac disco question

drifto77

NAXJA Forum User
On the front vac disco (' 91), there is a plunger type switch with 2 wires.
Does this have anything to do with the axle engagement or is this just for the light that tells you its engauged?

drifto77 said:
On the front vac disco (' 91), there is a plunger type switch with 2 wires.
Does this have anything to do with the axle engagement or is this just for the light that tells you its engauged?
Just the light.

On the early XJ,s they ran a vacuum hose up to a switch, for the light, on the passengers fenderwell just in front of the heater blower. On the newer ones, they simplified it and put it on the axle.

My front axle aint engaging and Iam just trying to find out why.
Dont think I like this set up.
Guess Iam gonna have to do the Posi-Lock "thing" to it.

pissoff.gif
VAC DISCO

Mine was the vacuum switch on the transfer case causing the problem. Otherwise itls either the vacuum motor on the axle or a vacuum leak, or pssibly the shifter forl attached to the vac motor is broken.

Just gave it a look over today, took the vac hoses off and blew some air thru 'em to see if they might be plugged.
Gonna "tinker" with it in in the morning.
Never messed with one before, but from the pics I've seen it looks pretty simple.
Most of the time if I can take it apart I can put it back together.
Sometimes its just like this ........................

surrender.gif

BTW ........
that switch you mentioned ...... about whats one cost?

Back