• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick front bumper question

rianardo

NAXJA Forum User
My '94 had a homebuilt tube bumper but I bought a stock front bumper and want to install that instead. I thought I had the right brackets (took them off the homebuilt bumper) but I can't figure out how they attach to the stock bumper. The ones I have do look like this though:

http://tinyurl.com/999my

Question: how does the front bumper attach to the brackets...any pics? No matter what I do it doesn't seem to make sense. I might have the wrong brackets so I'm ordering new ones on Monday...the ones I have are chewed up anyway.

Cheers,
R.

That looks like the right one. The three holes mount to the unibody frame and the other two holes mount your bumper,top and bottom. I am not sure but I think there is a left and right so that maybe the problem you are having.

What year XJ is your bumper for? It needs to be the same year spread as the brackets. Are you sure you have the right (year) brackets? See the pic below of a 2000. Most bumper parts should exchange for years 1984 - 1996 or 1997 -2001. You cannot mix parts across the cut-off years 96/97. The change in body style starting in 1997 calls for different parts. I have a diagram of a 1997 and newer bumper system. Your assembly of parts will be sort of the same except you don't have the tow hooks or the #9 item. The 1984-1996 bolts will be: one underneath the bumper and one in the face pointing down the road. I can get a pic of the 84-96 bracket if you need one.

Here is a pic of my 2000 bumper.

b1.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Hey,

Thanks for the detail guys.

Getting frustrated tho. I (supposedly) have the correct brand new brackets and the correct brand new bumper. Guess what? They don't match together. All the stickers say for 84-96 XJ; however, when I line up the bracket with the top bumper hole, the bottom of the bracket doesn't fit inside to line up with the bottom bumper hole and vice versa. I'll see if I can upload pics...I'm really starting to think I got the wrong bumper.

Any comments, help, pics, etc. much appreciated...

TIA,
R.

Last edited:
yeah...so I learned the hard way that rear bumpers and front bumpers don't exchange...@#&!**@!

Sticker says front bumper but I got a hunch and looked around back. Sure enough, the bumper end holes were the first tell-tale sign that I have a rear bumper...all then the other holes match the rear. Sorry to have wasted your time!

Cheers,
R.

Back