• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding stuff

saltilloxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i want to build some skid plates and rock rails. This will be a learn as I go kinda thing. My question is what welder should I buy / do I need to buy. And yes money is an issue, a big one. I have friends who have them in their shops but I really want to learn to do it myself Its something I have always wanted to learn. Any suggestions also on who´s skids and rails to try to copy?
:explosion

I wouldn't know much about how to weld, but if you want to copy designs, copy DPG skids, and as for rock rails, I would copy JKS or AJ's super rails, which are an almost identicle design.

Ok so im no pro at welding but from my experence a lincon 220 ARC welder is not to badly priced (mid 200s) and you can weld think steel with it. I just got done welding my rockers in with a Horbart 135 mig other than my inexperence in using migs it worked great and i hear its a good welder but i dont think you can weld anything much bigger than 1/4" steel with it and if your going to buy a mig its going to be around 350 to 600 just for a very basic one. But really your not going to need a big smancy fancy welder if your just starting out. If i were you i would get a lincon 220 ARC and hook up a new breaker in your garage then buy a book so you can learn your rods. Just my two cents from what ive learned. Anyone correct me if im wrong.

I work in the oil industry and do a lot of welding where strength and quality are very important. Arc welds are generally stronger if your good with the stick, mig would be my recommendation as it is really easy to get a strong, clean weld and if you can work a door knob or a light switch you'll have no problems with a mig.

LostintheWoods said:
I work in the oil industry and do a lot of welding where strength and quality are very important. Arc welds are generally stronger if your good with the stick, mig would be my recommendation as it is really easy to get a strong, clean weld and if you can work a door knob or a light switch you'll have no problems with a mig.
And working on your xj 160amp 220volts 100% duty cycle it all you will ever need.
Welding on something like rock sliders and such you will be running about 90amps.

I have both a big lincoln arc welder, not sure of the type it is my dad's and is older than me(3 ft tall box, plugs into a 220 outlet,and we just bought a new hobart, I can weld decently with both, but I personally prefer the hobart, I could teach my kid sister or my fiance to weld with the hobart, and it has plent of options for use(it will weld about anythig, and also will run flux core wire, and we have a tig attchment for it).
The only problems ive had with te hobart is that you haveto have it plugged into an outlet with a high amperage load on the breaker, or it tend to blow the breaker if you press it too hard.

im a pipe welder

and i have the lincoln hd 3500 it 600 bucks well spent for goofing around in the garage on the jeep ive done 1/2" just have to go slow and hot

great hoby welder but nothing like the 460 i use lol

Back