• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00' and 90' engine swapable?

paulhead

I overtighten $#!t
NAXJA Member
My 90 XJ needs a new block, the lower end is shot, so my question is can I swap out the block out of a 00 with my 90. Any differance in the block. I got the (00) engine complete but I'm told I have too much computer crap to swap out the engine completely.

Nuts and bolt yes but not a direct swap. The electronics,and fuel delivery are very different. The cooling system is different but adaptable. It's been done many times but theres more to it than just dropping the newer motor in.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm only talking blocks. What's the deal with the cooling system?

The cooling system should be no trouble. As long as the block sensors can be swapped, you should be fine (I've not checked.)

Check your 90 for a knock sensor, down on the driver's side of the block near the oil pan rail. If it's not there, there's no trouble. If it is there, you might want to drill and tap a hole for it in the new block - the boss should be there, just unmachined.

You can use the 90 head on top of the 00 block without any trouble, and re-use your top end parts (it will save you work,) or you can go to the trouble to use the 00 head - the injectors and most of the top end sensors should hook right up, but the TPS will have to be adapted, and I think the MAP sensor is different - again, I've not checked (it's on my list.)

The final result is up to you - but we're here if you have questions.

5-90

Back