• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installed YJ yoke and now a transfer case leak !

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj with the 242 transfer case. I installed a yj yoke and now my transfer case leaks! It comming from the slip yoke. Has this happend to anyone else? could it be the YJ yoke does not fit 100 % or did i mess up some seal?

yup. the "rear output shaft seal". the yoke probably had some surface rust/dirt on it that ate at the old seal. a new one at the stealership is about 15 bucks and will fix it.

thinking about it now the yoke did have some rust on it. Its was sitting on my garage floor for a few months. Any tips or articles on how to replace that seal? Is it the seal right at the end of the cone?

Yep -
It's pretty simple - here's a step-by-step:

Remove rear driveshaft (unbolt from yoke and pull out of tailcone)

Using a screwdriver, pry the old seal out of the tailcone.

Inspect tailcone seal mating surface for defects and clean.

Apply thin layer of RTV black around outside of seal shell.

Place seal in tailcone bore, and gently tap in place. The best way to do this is with a light hammer and a brass drift - but a light hammer alone (with a soft face) will do nicely. Gently drive the seal until the flange (as I recall, there is a flange) butts against the tailcone surface.

Before reinstalling the driveshaft, inspect the slip yoke surface. It would be wise to give the surface a pass with crocus or emery cloth to remove any surface rust. Use at least a 180 grit - if not finer - which will give you a surface that is just rough enough to make the seal seat against the slip yoke.

Reinspect in about a week - the seal should be seated and not leaking anymore.

NOTE - Be careful to not remove too much material when working to remove the rust. If the rust is too bad, it may be necessary to install a "Sleeve & Seal" kit, which will give a new bearing surface for the seal. Don't do this straight away - there's nothing wrong with doing it, but it's enough of a PITA to not want to do if you don't need to...

5-90

UPDATE!

Well I changed the seal yesterday and its leaking again. Not as bad as before but still leaking. I used a bit of sand paper and took off all the rust on the yoke before i did the install. Ill wait a few days and see how bad it gets. I might need a Sleeve & Seal kit. Where can I buy a sleeve and seal kit?

Last edited:
canadianwheeler said:
UPDATE!

Well I changed the seal yesterday and its leaking again. Not as bad as before but still leaking. I used a bit of sand paper and took off all the rust on the yoke before i did the install. Ill wait a few days and see how bad it gets. I might need a Sleeve & Seal kit. Where can I buy a sleeve and seal kit?
Find a bearing distributor in your area they will have them

Back