• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switching The Gauge Cluster

XJCLOWN

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here it is, ym G/F finaly got herself a jeep. It is a 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 6 cyl, ect ect ect. But the problem is that it was originally from Canada so the spedo and the milage is all in Killometers, what i would like to know is if there is a cheap way to chang it over to american miles. I was thinking about just getting a new cluster out of a newer junker, but would the mileage switch over, since it is all digital is it ran by the computer or is in in the cluster. Any info would be helpfull.

Thanks Chris

The ECU will still store the true milage but it the milage displayed in the cluster will be whatever milage was on the vehicle it came out of. You can use a gauge cluster out of either and XJ or TJ. I did it on my 98 with idiot lights, used one out of a TJ. As for the metric vs miles thing, thats pretty much a function of the number overlay. Spedo shops can reset the milage but I understand it's expensive, I just put a note in my owners manual of the difference.

There are tons of places where you can get an overlay to make the gauges white face or otherwise. They come marked in Engish units.

Back