• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Heat ?

highcj5

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 88 xj with the 5 speed. i get a lot of heat coming out of the console were the shifter is and thru the center console. is this normal? can this problem be fixed? i thought changing the transmission fluid would help but it didn't. also, when i added more lift to the xj, i thought the transfer case drop kit might help. it would be getting the transmission a little more away from the console. is the heat maybe coming from the engine? if that is the case, would hood vents help my situation. can anyone that has run into this or has this problem help. my AC is not working and my jeep is hot as hell inside on hot days. thanks.

I have an auto, but will take a shot.

Does it have a rubber boot that attaches to the under body, that would let heat in through the consul?

As I drive and sit at stoplights, I can feel the heat coming out from under the vehicle, as I lean out the window. It is hot as hell. And I live in the dessert. (no not a cake, or ice cream, if I spelled it wrong)

The newer models have a laminated(flexible) heat shield above the muffler,you might consider trying one over the trans/xf.

yeah, i might have to look into the heat sheild. i just do not know why it is so hot. i can feel the heat coming out near the shifter, emergency brake, and near the bottom of the center console were it meets the carpet. it is only when the jeep heats up. it is nice in the winter, but it's not in the summer. thanks for the info.

Same problem, only I have the auto, which I imagine would be hotter. I had the interior 'Toro-lined", (like Rhino but softer,) and my console gets untouchable; at least the bare metal part. Very uncomfortable.

I've been wondering what to do about this problem... maybe building a thin metal heat shield between the tranny and floorboard. I would think a blanket type heat shield would hold moisture and dirt.

Hopefully someone's got a good idea on this forum. My carpet insullation was baked on my rear pass side floor board above the muffler. I built long heat shield w/ spacers bolted to the floor boards from the front part of the exhaust to beyond the muffler. Helps.

My problem was traced back to my catalitic converter. Although probably not the same problem as yours. I was smelling hot plastic (for lack of a better discription) Thought I had a wire fried. But when looking for the problem I grabbed some junk from under my passenger seat and burnt my hand on a quarter! I talked to some others about it and found it to be a rather common problem. I installed a heat shield type fabric on the undercarrriage and eliminated most of the problem.
Your extra heat might be from this problem...but I didn't feel and heat as you are (maybe a better seal in mine)l.
Rick

When my MAP sensor went out, the engine ran lean and caused the muffler and cat to get so hot that it burnt my carpet above them, as well as all of wiring that was there. Anyhow, that problem is fixed but it still get's hotter than hell on my floor and through my shifter boot as well. I installed a heat shield on my muffler, no help. The heat seems to come from the tranny and t/c. When you find a fix, lemme know! 100 degrees and stop and go today was not fun since my A/C gave up the ghost. I may have to invest those heat shield booties that race car drivers wear :D

I have an 88 w/auto tranny. The floor all around the transmission hump gets very hot. Even on cool days. I drive 12 miles in the AM and could burn my leg on the floor in that amount of time. I installed an auxillary tranny cooler still no difference. The tranny fluid looks, smells fine and the filter looks clean. Tranny shifts good.
Has anyone built a shield between tranny and floor? And did it work to keep the interior temp down?
Would the hood vents help?

Thanks,
Sean

highcj5 said:
yeah, i might have to look into the heat sheild. i just do not know why it is so hot. i can feel the heat coming out near the shifter, emergency brake, and near the bottom of the center console were it meets the carpet. it is only when the jeep heats up. it is nice in the winter, but it's not in the summer. thanks for the info.

There IS a rubber boot around the shifter that can tear. Remove the top boot on the shifter and you will be able to see the one underneath. This happened on mine, and hot air was blowing under the center console.

I have this same problem on a '98 auto. It seems to be mostly on the passenger side. Is there any other solutions beside the heat shield...or is there a problem that is more serious than that?

Sorry to bring up a thread from the past, but I am having this same problem. I'll be tearing this thing apart soon enough for a complete refurbish on the interior, but I'd like to fix this before then. Any thoughts or solutions that I didn't find in my search on other threads?

I plan on checking the rubber boot tonight and I'll post up results.

Vehicle in question is a 1995 5-Spd.

Sorry to bring up a thread from the past, but I am having this same problem. I'll be tearing this thing apart soon enough for a complete refurbish on the interior, but I'd like to fix this before then. Any thoughts or solutions that I didn't find in my search on other threads?

I plan on checking the rubber boot tonight and I'll post up results.

Vehicle in question is a 1995 5-Spd.

my 89 5-speed with no ac gets hot as hell at the passengerside floorboard and tunnel ,most likely from the cat convertor.

Back