• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Powersteering pump upgrade

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
My power steering pump is on its way out and of course OEM parts are the last option if theres not an aftermarket replacement. I have the 4.0 HO 1995 F.I. a/c I6 motor so does anyone out there have any links to a bigger better pump!!????
Thanks in advance guys,
Big-G

Not sure about an aftermarket pump. I had a problem with my fading out while four wheeling, it was getting to warm. So I put a cooler in on the return side and the problem has yet to come back. It may not be the awnser you want but, its an option.

comancheon33 said:
Not sure about an aftermarket pump. I had a problem with my fading out while four wheeling, it was getting to warm. So I put a cooler in on the return side and the problem has yet to come back. It may not be the awnser you want but, its an option.

Where did you get the pump that can fit the cooler? Do you have a link to the cooler & pump?

Matthew Currie said:
Since the cooler goes on the return (low pressure) side of the circuit, I don't think you need anything special. You can splice it into the lines.

Well i still cant find the "cooler" i gues i'll just have to go with an O>E>M> steering pump. Im still convinced that there is a direct fit Heavy Duty pump out there but just cant find it!!
ANYONE????

I have said this before many times on here... aftermarket replacment reman pumps only last about 12-14 months... now i have not tried replacing it with an OEM 100% new so i don't know if its the reman process or crap in the system. I have a filter on my return line so im leaning torwards the reman process.. but i have tried both cardone and fenco and both will give you a good year

BIG-G said:
Well i still cant find the "cooler" i gues i'll just have to go with an O>E>M> steering pump. Im still convinced that there is a direct fit Heavy Duty pump out there but just cant find it!!
ANYONE????
Just get a small trany cooler.

Go OEM, it is all you need.

As far as a cooler, this is what I run with my stock pump and MM Hydro,

coolerkit1.gif

http://www.tricountygear.com/steering.htm

BTW - This is only my second pump in over 200K miles.

Rev

Quadratec.com and restore4x4.com both have new units in the $150 range. I installed the quadratec pump and it works great. As for a cooler, it shouldn't be necessary unless you are running 33s or bigger with stick out wheels. If it is, mount a small tranny cooler in front of the radiator or ac condenser and route the hoses in the return section. Its very easy. Also, make sure you use good fluid from a dealer, it makes a difference, even though it is expensive. Don't use Lucas, I hated it.

Back