• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why not Ranger axle?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Why don't people swap in a Ranger rear axle? They're spring over already and it is the same as the Explorer minus the disc brakes. Just curious, I've been pondering the thought? Let me know if anyone has tried this...

You'd still gain some strength in the axlehousings I'd think, but yeah its the discs. They're the reason I want an 8.8 Explorer axle for my Jeep.

Or course there are other benefints! People don't swap them for the brakes, they swap them b/c they're stong as hell! The Ford 8.8 is a beefcake axle and pretty much just as strong as the Ford 9". Hell, the disc brakes are just a bonus.

most Rangers are 27 spline units, all explorers are 31 spline.

barillms said:
Or course there are other benefints! People don't swap them for the brakes, they swap them b/c they're stong as hell! The Ford 8.8 is a beefcake axle and pretty much just as strong as the Ford 9". Hell, the disc brakes are just a bonus.

couldent have said it better myself ;)

But are the spring pads at the correct width??
If that were the case these would be good for someone wanting to ditch a d35.
But nothing is ever that easy.
Timbo

They aren't the correct width, and you really don't gain much of an advantage over a jeep axle that would really be worth it. 27 spline axles is as much as some 8.25's, so why upgrade? Yea, you get a stronger housing and thicker ring gear, but at the same time, you'd get weaker 27 spline axles instead of 31 spline, and a c-clip (which is kinda unavoidable with the 8.8)

And to whoever said the 8.8 is pretty much as strong as a ford 9, no it's not. By all means, it's not.

why not?
I have the explorer in the rear of mine and I cant break the thing. I only have 33's but Im really hard on it on really sticky rocks with 4:56s. The disc brakes are a deffinate plus though, but as far as price goes if you want cheep go with the ranger 8.8. Im not totally sure but I think the spring perches will need to be moved. and it's actually easier to do spring over on the spring under axel, less cutting. be carfull not to weld it too hot those tubes arent real thick.

Yea, you get a stronger housing and thicker ring gear, but at the same time, you'd get weaker 27 spline axles instead of 31 spline, and a c-clip (which is kinda unavoidable with the 8.8)

And to whoever said the 8.8 is pretty much as strong as a ford 9, no it's not. By all means, it's not.[/QUOTE]

OK for starters you have your splines confused. Most 9 inch rears have 28 splines weaker than the 8.8 which has 31 spline axels and a massive pinion just shy of a D60 pinion. the c clips are a disadvantage yes but the gear set is huge and and the ring gear is only 2 thenths of an inch smaller in diamiter than a 9 inch. the housing is just as stronge. however the 8.8 is more of a pain to work on than the 9 inch because you cant just pull the 3rd member out. plus it is almost impossible to find a 9 inch that doesnt need to be narrowed anymore.
Many companies make c clip eliminator kits now for the 8.8.the 8.8 is ready to go at just 1 and a 1/4 inches more narrow than the Dd35 which hasnt caused me any problems

Last edited:
Acouple of observations...

Ranger 8.8's are narrower than Explorer 8.8's (which are narrower than Stock XJ width)

unless they're 31 spline not much of an upgrade if any...

C-clip eliminators are not designed for the loads and stress of offroad applications...

If you're that worried about C-clips, buy Warn shafts or get a different axle.

The 9" has been around a long-long time and has stood up to mucho HP and TQ applications...

If you ever plan on going bigger than 37's and like to abuse the skinny pedal and don't mind full width... Ford 9"

Less than 37's and almost stock XJ width, same bolt pattern and disk brakes?

Forget the Ranger... Go Explorer or Mountaineer

a ranger rear end is a bad value if you compare the prices of the whole units with the cost of a disk brake upgrade the exploder rear is a no brainer. Unless you get the ranger axle for free it doesnt make good sense to use it .... i would still sell the ranger axle and buy a exploder 8.8 since you still are spending you time and any one that buys your jeep later will like the exploder 8.8 and if you have a ranger drum 8.8 they will just roll their eyes.

BrettM said:
I've always heard they're all 28 spline

Almost...

Ford Ranger Rear Axles

Most Rangers are equipped with the Ford 7.5-inch rear axle with several exceptions:

1) 1986-up "Incomplete vehicles" also known as "Chassis Cabs" were frequently equipped with 8.8" 28-spline axles, the '86-88 examples are distinctive as they are the only 8.8" Ranger rears that have no provisions for a RABS sensor.

2) 1990 & up 4.0-liter Rangers. These are ALWAYS equipped with the 8.8-inch 28-spline rear axle.

3) 1998-up 4x4 supercab Rangers regardless of powerplant are frequently equipped with 8.8" axles

4) FX4 Rangers 99-current come equipped with an 8.8 rear and 31-spline axles with either 4.10 or 4.56 axle ratios.

Swapping in an 8.8-inch 28-spline Ranger axle for the original 7.5-inch axle provides (according to Ford) a 35% increase in strength. But this strength increase refers to the greater strength of the gears and carrier bearings (Pinion bearings, axle bearings and axle shafts are exactly the same) there is NO increase in weight capacity If you are looking for greater strength for loads created by severe offroad driving or towing you'll want to go to the next step, the Explorer axle.

The rear axles on all Ford Explorers are also 8.8's, however there are some differences... The 8.8-inch Explorer axle use 31-spline axle shaft. Increasing from a 28-spline to a 31-spline axle allegedly increases strength of the axle shaft by 34%, however I'll go by the capacity ratings of the axle assemblies provided by the manufacturer. Ford Rates the Ranger axle at 2750lbs and the Explorer axle at 3200lbs this is a 16% increase in strength, which admittedly may be as conservative
as the estimate of axle strength. The Important thing about the Explorer axle assembly vis-a-vie it's strength is not the axles that are larger at the splines but that these axles are larger in diameter at the outer bearing journal AND the larger diameter bearings used.

What axle do you have now?

You can identify which axle you have by the tag attached to the inspection
cover.

Some feel better having disc brakes (I'll discuss this elsewhere:) and if you want discs then look for a Explorer '95-01, as these are the ones with the disks brakes. '91-94 axle assemblies are just as strong, but have 10" drums (Which are more easily connected to your existing hydraulic lines and Parking brake cables)

More here:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

BrettM said:
I've always heard they're all 28 spline
You have always heard that what is 28 spine, the 8.8 or the F9?

bluebeast said:
Yea, you get a stronger housing and thicker ring gear, but at the same time, you'd get weaker 27 spline axles instead of 31 spline, and a c-clip (which is kinda unavoidable with the 8.8)

And to whoever said the 8.8 is pretty much as strong as a ford 9, no it's not. By all means, it's not.

OK for starters you have your splines confused. Most 9 inch rears have 28 splines weaker than the 8.8 which has 31 spline axels and a massive pinion just shy of a D60 pinion. the c clips are a disadvantage yes but the gear set is huge and and the ring gear is only 2 thenths of an inch smaller in diamiter than a 9 inch. the housing is just as stronge. however the 8.8 is more of a pain to work on than the 9 inch because you cant just pull the 3rd member out. plus it is almost impossible to find a 9 inch that doesnt need to be narrowed anymore.
Many companies make c clip eliminator kits now for the 8.8.the 8.8 is ready to go at just 1 and a 1/4 inches more narrow than the Dd35 which hasnt caused me any problems[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I confused you, I was talking about the ranger and explorer 8.8 differences in spline count, not the 9

BrettM said:
the ranger 8.8. pretty sure the ranger never came with a 9", and this thread is about ranger axles.
Just because this thread is about the 8.8 doesn't mean that that is what your talking about. Although, I have seen your post and you know what your talking about. :)

I must have confused you with some other forum users. :confused1

Back