• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thermal?

BADBOYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
ok got the new tps in and set but now the temp tries to crawl over the 210 mark as if trying to overheat ( Ok it did this for some time now), The aux fan does kick in and come on.My question is would my clutch on main fan be thermal or none thermal? TIA. Oh this for 90 XJ with 40L

BADBOYXJ said:
ok got the new tps in and set but now the temp tries to crawl over the 210 mark as if trying to overheat ( Ok it did this for some time now), The aux fan does kick in and come on.My question is would my clutch on main fan be thermal or none thermal? TIA. Oh this for 90 XJ with 40L
Was it over heating before you changed the TPS?
The main fan is a clutch fan.

Yes it was running a little to hot (just above 210 while driving) before TPS change, when driving if you stop or slow way down then it creeps up to just above the red mark but does not really go over it. But yes it did do it before. And it kinda looks like the fan doesn't speed up when engine is reved up. Any help and ideas are appreciated!!! ( thats where I think maybe the clutchfan is going bad, but there are thermal and non thermal clutches for the fan and i am trying to find out which one I have. Oh and if running to lean how do you set it so it doesn't run to lean? As usual TIA

Re: thermal it is!!!

just replaced the thermastat it wouldn't open in boiling water so it prob was bad, If not then will replace the fanclutch.Just got the XJ a few weeks ago
was slightly overheating then, Decided to wash engine due to having lotso oil on it and didn't know bout TPS being allergic to water so uhoh!.But will drive test tommorrow and see if prob is cured if not then on to round 2!!Thanks for info bout it being thermal

Re: thermal it is!!!

BADBOYXJ said:
just replaced the thermastat it wouldn't open in boiling water so it prob was bad, If not then will replace the fanclutch.Just got the XJ a few weeks ago
was slightly overheating then, Decided to wash engine due to having lotso oil on it and didn't know bout TPS being allergic to water so uhoh!.But will drive test tommorrow and see if prob is cured if not then on to round 2!!Thanks for info bout it being thermal

Sounds right to me.

Back