• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling engine, got a few questions

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
Pulling the 4.0HO engine in my 91 with an auto to put in a fresh long block. I've searched NAXJA and read through my FSM, got a friend to loan me a cherry picker and an engine stand.

Another friend has offered me a Tranny jack - Do I need it?

Does someone know where to attach to the engine when pulling it?

Thanks for the responses and any other pointers.

The first one I pulled, I removed the front clip and took the engine tranny and transfer out as a unit. Unbolted the motor mounts from the frame and took them out whole also. Made a 3 point harness that centered right around cylinder 5&6, pretty tight on valve cover. Removed the intake/exhaust and starter (in the Jeep) before pulling it.
My biggest problem was building a cradle to hold the whole works. I fianlly fashioned a cradle from wood that rested on the pan bolts, I had to form it a little to clear the pan bulge on the drivers side.
Next time, I´ll do it just about the same way.
Only screw up was I had it on jackstands, when I went to pull the motor and my hoist wouldn´t go high enough :doh:

3XJFamily said:
Pulling the 4.0HO engine in my 91 with an auto to put in a fresh long block. I've searched NAXJA and read through my FSM, got a friend to loan me a cherry picker and an engine stand.

Another friend has offered me a Tranny jack - Do I need it?

Does someone know where to attach to the engine when pulling it?

Thanks for the responses and any other pointers.
If your going to leave the tranny in place the use the jack to support it.
Most parts stores will have somthing to bolt the your engine, Look at automotive tools at HF.

Pull the radiator and front clip. It makes the job so much easier. It can be done with the rad in place, but why?

I tend to pull the engine and trans as a unit after pulling the tcase in vehicle. No real reason, just habit. When lifting both out at once, I use the driver rear head stud and thread a nut above the chain. Then the other end of the chain goes through one of the two long A/C compressor bolts that run front to rear (87-90) I don't recall if the 91 has a different arrangement, should be able to rig up something off the same bracket easily.

Back