• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch stuck closed

joshz

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 99 xj and ther rear hatch will not open, the mechanism inside I think is broke or has come apart, the key seems to turn the lock fine but the handle will not pop the hatch. Any thoughts on how to fix this. Thanks Guys

Try pressing above the handle area, while you pull the handle up. It may release.

If not, you'll have to jump in the back and pop the inside plastic cover off. Remove the caps over the screws to the handle and remove the screws/handle. There are also some screws along the top you'll need to remove. Then work your way around and start pulling the cover off (gently) as your release the snap plugs from the hatch, enough for you to reach in and manually release the hatch.... You'll then see what you are up against...

My problem has been something getting caught in the lock. Pushing the hatch in while working the lock has worked. Banging on the hatch, at the bottom, but not denting it, has worked for me.
Walt

I had the same issue on my 98. Pull back the plastic panel at the top center of the rear by the wiper. This will pop it out about 5-6 inches. From there you can shine a light in there and see a vertical threaded rod. Pull up on that and the hatch will open.
Once its open take off the entire panel and lube the hell out of the latch on the inside. The threaded rod has an adjustment to that connects to the hatch handle. Its really "cheap" made. But you can pry it open and slide the rod down a little to get a better fit. Then get pliers and squeeze it back on the threaded rod.
You'll see what I mean once you get the panel off.

I helped my freind with his 97 same thing happend to him. After u get the plastic off, there is a little pocket were the locking mecinisem is and there is a long screw like thing with two bolts on as spring. THe problem is the spring is not tight enof to unlock the door. If u take the 2 nut like things and pull them down the bolt it will tighten the spring then ur hatch should pop right open then grease every thing up and put the plastic back on and ur good to go.

i had that problem on my 86. i yanked on it reall hard and ripped the whole mechanism out of the door, busted the fiberglass and all. then i took it off the little post it latches on. then i went to the local menards and got some little latch deals and mounted one on each side of the door and they hold it shut well. anyone could walk up and open it but nonetheless. you could prolly mount a deadbolt into the bumper or something to lock it.

Back