• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jackstand placement

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I want to check my steering components this weekend. If I jack up the axle at the pumpkin and if I am not supposed to put stands under the tubes, where then should I place the jackstands to support the axle? Thanks

You should be fine with putting the jacks on the axle tubes to support the axle. Would these be holding the weight of the car or just supporting the axle while there were two more jacks at the "frame" behind the lca brackets?

There is no problem supporting the vehicle by the axle tubes unless you plan on removing a control arm or track bar in which case it would be better to put the stands at the frame rails.

For simple repairs like brakes, removing tires, or anything that doesn't require the removal of the track bar or control arms supporting the vehicle by the axles is ideal as you only have to jack the vehicle up a couple inches to have the tires off the ground. If you were to try and support the vehicle by the frame rails youd have to have it lifted MUCH higher to get the tires off the ground since the suspension will be drooping the more you lift the frame.

yardape said:
I want to check my steering components this weekend. If I jack up the axle at the pumpkin and if I am not supposed to put stands under the tubes, where then should I place the jackstands to support the axle? Thanks
When checking your steering, you want the stands under the axle tubes.

The reason is, you want the suspension to be in the position it would be when driving.

My only concern was not knowing whether the wall of the tube is thick enough to support the full weight of the vehicle.

yardape said:
My only concern was not knowing whether the wall of the tube is thick enough to support the full weight of the vehicle.

The axle tubes are thick enough to hold. I just had my axle on jackstands to replace my front brakes.

Kim.

Yup, tubes are generally between 3/8" and 1/2" in thickness so they're strong enough to hold.

So, I'm getting ready to do my lift and when I was looking at it this weekend, it seemed that if I put my jackstands on the ront frame rails, they'd have to be set awfully high in order to get clearance. Where would you put 'em in the front when doing a lift?

Nevada City Sparky said:
So, I'm getting ready to do my lift and when I was looking at it this weekend, it seemed that if I put my jackstands on the ront frame rails, they'd have to be set awfully high in order to get clearance. Where would you put 'em in the front when doing a lift?
You will need it to be high.

langer1 said:
You will need it to be high.
Use big jackstands...don't go cheap on this and do something stupid like stack bricks, etc...

heeperman said:
axle tubes not strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle????? they do it every day while you are driving!!

Agreed. But the weight is distributed a little more evenly and cushioned across the length of the axle via the spring perches as opposed to the hard contact points of a jackstand.

Back