• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I almost killed my new Jeep, Help

zfinger

NAXJA Forum User
So I went out on an old railroad bed with a friend and we hit a good waterhole.
(Same post on NEOW with pics) http://forum.neow.net/index.php?showtopic=42858

The middle was almost hood-deep and had a bit unexpected drop-off. I went throught it 3 times no problem, but on the final trip back through I stalled out in the middle (automatic). banghead.gif I couldnt get the Jeep to start, I soaked my air filter pretty bad. I finally got it started and chugging really bad and made it out of the water. Then it kept stalling and running like crap. Something started smoking and smelled the last time it stalled so I got out and my exhaust was GLOWING RED. And the carpet in my back seat was smouldering and smoking. We poured bottles of water on the carpet and the exhaust and made it all go out and cool off after 20 trips to a small stream. My friend with a 4cyl 93 towed me up to the road where I got it to start and I assume I burned the water off. I got it running again and without stalling and made it home. I changed the spark plugs that night and it runs like new, better actually.

So what caused my stalling and near automotive death? The water in the intake? What made my exhaust glow like that?

What is the solution, other then dont drive thought water that deep with a stock jeep? Do I need a snorkel or is there an easier way to not get water in the intake? What about the exhaust?

My airbox has a small opening in the front, and is the same shape as the one in the 93, but he has a little extension that goes up the his headlight area. Also he has a tube on the inside that I dont have. Why?

1. It sounds like you got water sucked into the motor and thats what caused it to stall. Not sure about your exhaust.

2. Modify your existing intake. You can make a cowl type induction. The way it works is you seal up the holes infront of the airbox, and cut a hole in the back of the airbox and run somea ir intake hose to the upper part of the firewall. There is a writeup on www.madxj.com .

and by the looks of the pics you had in the other thread, you were going way to fast through the hole.

Well I'm new to Jeepin, and I dont have the tecnique down yet. Yes I was going to fast, which I realized after. I was more worried about breaking traction and getting stuck, and didnt think about throwing water up into the front end.

The exhaust isnt kinked, and its new from the muffler back, but I think my cat my be a little plugged up, time for it to meet a peice of pipe (Can I do that with an o2 sensor on the cat?)

Thanks for the cowl link by the way.

dont ditch the cat, it will do more bad then good, you can get a high flow cat off ebay for around $70

When you stalled in the water you may have filled the exhaust system with water and that is whatmade it keep dying and caused theexhaust to heat up. If it was being towed up-hill as you say chances are the water drained back out and then it ran okay.

When an old hot cat hits cold water, the "brick" inside can shatter and clog the pipe. Any water sucked into the intake can also temporarily cause a clog, which will make it overheat and stall, but be fine later. Water into a sensor can cause overfuelling, and when you get it running again, the raw gas ignites and turns the cat into a blow torch. The water in an air filter will also boost the raw gas dumped by cutting down the fuel flow. Engine coolant sensor (computer one) will chill and turn it to "choke" mode, enriching the fuel.
As you can see LOTS of things can happen!

What type/brand of fluid do you reccomend I put in the diff's when I flush them. Anyone know how much they hold off the top of thier head?

i put napa 80w-90 gear oil in my diffs after i drove though a flooded road last week. i think it took about 4 quarts front and rear with the chrysler 8 1/4. also needed a tube of RTV to seal the covers, cuz their arn't any drain holes. total cost was under $15.

Last edited:
Back