• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Voltage/No Start

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
I just jumped the XJ for the second time in 3 days, replaced the old Alt. (Powermaster Junk) with my old alt. to see if the gauge read any different. It did stay at 14 for start up and during the first 5 mins of running. After checking it, it's down to 10, put a load on it...red line city. Now I un hooked the pos. cable and the interior light got brighter but I had no way of checking the volt gauge. Battery is new, as of June 5th. I'm out of light to check anything but I'm sure it will be dead in the am. Any ideas. I'm going to check the ground cable at the engine an any other wires. I don't have volt meter at home/ its at work. Thanks, Juice

Got to figure ot if it´s a short sucking you down or the alternator. New battery, old battery, you can´t trust them, especially off road trucks, the insides of the battery occasioanlly come loose and kind of flop around in there.
I´d start by turning the key off, taking the ground or power lug off of the battery, looking under the battery clamp as you touch it to the post. See if it´s just a tiny spark or a large spark. If it cracks pretty good, likely a short.
If it jumps a big spark with the key off, it´s likely in one of the fusible link circuits.
Turn the key to the run position, do the test agian, kind of a relative type thing, it will spark some, but if it´s excessive, I´d pull one fuse at a time and see what happens, to the volt meter test is probably the best route.
The only seious short I´ve ever had, was the bundle splice under the drivers side carpet. Real mess, everything was melted together.
10 volt charge is typical for a bad diode in the alternator. But you really need a volt meter, my in Jeep volt gauge is 2-3 volts stingey.

The alternator will try to charge the battery if 1 diode blows. It just won't put out enough amperage to keep everything functional. (the alt is wired through a series of 6 diodes. If one burns out, the system looses 2/3 of it's charging ability because of the series parallel wiring)

Back