• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke a Freakin STUD!!

surfmon

NAXJA Forum User
Passenger side bottom shock mount.

Sheared it right off. I am hoping it actually is a stud and not welded so I don't have to rig it.

Any suggestion or experiences??

thanks
T

Had sears break one on my 82 S-10 and they punched it out and put a new one in, looked like a wheel stud. Don't remember off hand if there was any welding involved or not just remember it becaue they said 'whoever put the last set of shocks on put em on wrong and stripped the bolt' to which I replied 'did you happen to notice that you're replacing them under warranty so go talk to the mirror'....'

'did you happen to notice that you're replacing them under warranty so go talk to the mirror'....'
Did he??? :laugh3:

surfmon said:
So it isn't a stud and using a bolt is a good fix??
A good fix?

They are bolts from the factory. Using a bolt isn't "fixing" anything, it's just replacing a broken bolt.

[EDIT]Just noticed that you have a '99. (It would help if you remember to post the year when you ask for advice. Things change from year to year.) I know first-hand that the older XJs used bolts. It is possible that the new body style used studs -- I haven't replaced shocks on a new one as yet so I don't know.[/EDIT]

Eagle said:
A good fix?

They are bolts from the factory. Using a bolt isn't "fixing" anything, it's just replacing a broken bolt.

[EDIT]Just noticed that you have a '99. (It would help if you remember to post the year when you ask for advice. Things change from year to year.) I know first-hand that the older XJs used bolts. It is possible that the new body style used studs -- I haven't replaced shocks on a new one as yet so I don't know.[/EDIT]
Eagle, when I did the shocks on my 2000, I think (fuzzy memory here) they were large torx head bolts that are splined into the brackets, similar to what is done on the front sway bar brackets on the axle end.

So.....this fix should be to punch out the remaining broken stub, and replace with a conventional bolt.

Back