• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

YJ rear brake hose on my MJ.....

cwlongshot

NAXJA Forum User
This is a DD for me. I put on a 3" lift and 30" tars, mostly for looks. (My TJ is my set up trail rig.) But I am doing the XJ proportioning valve swap, including complete new hard line front to back, this week end and need to put in a longer rubber line to the axle.
My question is will a YJ rear rubber hose give me the needed extra legnth?
Will the factory YJ rear shocks work for the rear of my MJ again for the extra legnth?
I already have the factory front rubber hoses from a YJ as well as the front shocks from a YJ for the added legnth. They are just about perfect, 3" longer than the MJ's!
My consern for the REAR shocks is also weight, the MJ will be lighter in the ass end but could conseavably carry more weight loaded than the YJ was designed to.
As long as I get more legnth in the rear hose it will work for me as the factory was just a bit too short in factory legnth.

Thanks,
CW

xj proportioning valve? got any more info on that? BTW i have a yj rear line at my house and with quick eyeball it looked longer dut if i get a chance i take a better look tomoroww.

Mike

I have a YJ line on the rear of my '98 XJ with 4.5" of lift. It's a direct install and provides adequate length for wheel travel. Good luck.

XJ-HEAT said:
I have a YJ line on the rear of my '98 XJ with 4.5" of lift. It's a direct install and provides adequate length for wheel travel. Good luck.
Yes, but he has an MJ, and I'm fairly sure that the stock MJ line is longer than a stock XJ line to start with, so I'm guessing an MJ line and a YJ line are very close in length.

Thanks for the tip on the Dodge dakota line, now I might be able to remove my "custom" lenght hard line extension to a 22" SS line.

Patrick

Thanks guys!
I just dont want to drive the parts guy nuts pulling all kinds of different models and years hoses till I find the right one! I will bring my MJ hose and have him pull the a 96 Dakota and YJ. I'll get the longer of the two.

Most of the info I got for this swap came from this forum. Do a search, EAGLE & CHEAP XJ had a lot of info on this.

THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!!

CW

Last edited:
Well, I got-er-done today! Incase you wanted to know......

I ran completely new hard lines from the distribution block, up front, to the rear hose. Then from the rear hose, out to either side of the axle. The last owner put unions in when he twisted off the connections at the wheel cylinders. I couldn't leave it that was after running a line all the way from the front...could I???
OH YEA, I used a 1996 Dodge Dakota rear hose. THANKS BRETT!!! It was almost 23" long compaired to a bit over 17 for the factory MJ hose. The only real difference was the hole thru the block was about 3/8 of an inch compaired to 3/16 for the MJ hose. It is also a ABS line, but this dosent matter as the extra line isnt there to worry about. I just ignored the little clips running down the outside of the hose.
I couldn't find a XJ proportioning valve at the bone yard...only called one ...so I just blocked off the "return" side on the MJ block. I get a brake light on the dash this way. No biggie, I know what it is and the brakes are now GREAT!!! SUPER nice hard pedal with excellent stopping. If I really slam on the pedal the rears lock up first. (NEVER did before!!!) But normal driving to 45 mph, (Fast as I've gone so far) they work normally. Every pick up I have had did this anyway!!! SO I may not even need athe XJ valve. I will get my hands on one but there is no rush to swap it in. As long as noting pops up.

Thanks for all who gave advice, everything turned out fine.....now On to those rear shocks...

Back