• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1978 CJ7 Info

robertj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, my dad just bought a '78 cj7, and we are trying to find out the info for it, mainly what transmission it has, and what engine.

Its automatic, v8, and has the 4wd selection in the glove box.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Will a CJ that old could have been modified and different drivetrain components changed, so this could be wrong. I would figure the V8 is an AMC 304, the only stock V8 used in CJs that I know of. The tranny I believe would be the 999, again, I believe it was the only auto tranny used in CJs though the 727 was used in the big Waggys.
If the 4wd is controled by a knob in the glove box, that indicates you have the Quadratrack 4wd system, this is the least desireable 4wd system put in a CJ. It is actually a full time 4wd system, the knob in the glovebox shifts it into 4L.

Ok so,
AMC 304(which sounds right)
Quadratrack 4WD
But what is the 999, sorry I dont know all the names. Its my dads hes looking to do an engine swap, and keep it to play around with. So I need to get the name of the transmission to look up swap kits.

He doesnt really need the hardcore 4wd stuff. Its more like a project jeep for him to do.

How can I tell?? I tried to look up under the jeep, but the whole undercarriage is covered in grease. And I wasnt about to wipe the whole thing down.

So what do I have to do to figure it out?

I *think*, even with a vehicle this old, that you can request a 'build sheet' from Chryco by emailing them the vehicle VIN. They may have the old AMC records in a retrievable form, and this will indicate the stuff on the truck when it left the factory.

AMC had lots of 'running changes', and even tho a part may be listed in say NAPA, doesn't mean it's applicable to your specific truck.

The 904, 727, 998 and 999 are "TF's", meaning Chrysler "TorqueFlite".
They *most always* have the Chryco bellhousing bolt pattern.

The TH400 (and the TH350 and the 700R4) are General Motors "TurboHydramatic".
They have either the Chevy bellhousing bolt pattern or the 'Buick' bellhousing bolt pattern (also common on Olds, Pont, and other GM's).
[Does anybody know for sure whether or not the Buick pattern matches the Chryco pattern?]

*Most* AMC engines had the Chryco bellhousing bolt pattern.

Easiest way to tell what tranny you have? If the vehicle runs, drive it to Aamco or other major tranny shop and ask them. Get an estimate for a filter, then drive away. :D

Another way would be to go to NAPA, and ask what the part number is for the filter. Their catalog will indicate what tranny AMC *should* have installed.
But, beware of the 'running changes'.

According to www.napaonline.com , the available auto trannies were TF904, 727, and 998.
It looks like the 727 was the only offering for 8 cylinders.

Back