• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas or Monster Box?

GREEN XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Which one would ya'll run, I kind of leaning to Monster box because you have 2 low gears plus 32 spline front and rear outputs, whereas on an Atlas all of that is upgrades not stock.

I really like the looks of the Stak monster box, the only downside I can see is it's a bit heavy (140lbs), but at least that weight is down low and comes from it having BEEFY gears.

What is the rest of your drivetrain? and what kind of terrain do you wheel? if you wheel the same type of terrain all the time, I don't see a need for it. Personally, I would use the 3:1 for snow wheeling and most of the time on rock trails like Fordyce and Rubicon. Then if I get down to Johnson Valley trails, or on some of the optional stuff on Rubicon or Fordyce I would use the 5:1.

My other drivtrain is 4.0L, AW4 might get a T999 or T727, D60 front, 14 Bolt rear w/5.13 Lincoln locked. When I get everything to gether it is goin to be strictly rocks and anything that gets in the way.

At this point. I would still say the Atlas. Tried and true is a safe way to spend money.

Now once this box hits the world and the company is still in business after a year. IF there box doesnt break, thier warrenty is good, and the customer service is at LEAST as good as atlas THEN only would I consider dropping that kinda dime on a box.

I know that when I am ready to buy a aftermarket box, which should be a year or so. I do hope that the moster box has proven itself. I would really like to have a 3 speed. But reliabilty is so important when you are 100 miles from anything.

JMO

Matt

GREEN XJ said:
Which one would ya'll run, I kind of leaning to Monster box because you have 2 low gears plus 32 spline front and rear outputs, whereas on an Atlas all of that is upgrades not stock.

Id say the atlas 2 unless you feel like removing your console and having the sifters in a non stock location ....The atlas II comes with xj specific shifters so the come out the stock TC shifter locations, and with the 32 spline out but the atlas is still 200.00 cheaper and is available now...not some time in the near future.... from what Ive heard they have moved the release date back several times already

xjnation said:
Id say the atlas 2 unless you feel like removing your console and having the sifters in a non stock location ....The atlas II comes with xj specific shifters so the come out the stock TC shifter locations, and with the 32 spline out but the atlas is still 200.00 cheaper and is available now...not some time in the near future.... from what Ive heard they have moved the release date back several times already
actually, I believe they moved the release date up. says August 1st on their site: http://www.stak4x4.com/news.htm

Scrappy has a good point about being proven. I'm just trying to get you to be one of the guys to help prove it (or break it), cause I certainly don't have the cash to be :laugh3:

I don't have stock console no more put a Wrangler Tuffy console in and plannin on after market shifter, so cutting holes no problem. I'm just waiting on them to come out and see how they hold up, but it would be cheaper to get the Monster Box than to upgrade an Atlas to its specs. But like ya'll said Atlas is tried and true, plus I love them.

xjnation said:

It really isnt hard to make new shifters. But they do have cable shifters available. Which would be a good idea anyways. Smoother more versatile IMO.

Really? Why do you say that? Never heard that before. I could only see it being a problem if the cable had to make tight bends.But I see it as a very straight thing. I guess the actual housing part of the shifters could be too big. But i dont know.

I know I am going to be using cables only beacuse I am going to be mounting the shifters in a very very abnormal position.

Scrappy said:
Really? Why do you say that? Never heard that before. I could only see it being a problem if the cable had to make tight bends.But I see it as a very straight thing. I guess the actual housing part of the shifters could be too big. But i dont know.

I know I am going to be using cables only beacuse I am going to be mounting the shifters in a very very abnormal position.

Half inch control rods dont move well with 1/8" control cables. the shifters they use have a solid leverage point just above the control rods, and trust me it needed!

I think the funny thing about the site is they dont actually show any installed pics on the rigs they are testing them on. When I emailed and asked for installed pics I got no response. but when I emailed about sending them money they responded very fast.

BrettM said:
I really like the looks of the Stak monster box, the only downside I can see is it's a bit heavy (140lbs), ...
The only downside??

I'm gonna have to go ahead and list 3 GRAND as a down side. I dont know if the extra gear is worth a thousand dollars. All I need is normal, and low-as-possible. I cant think of an instance where I'll use the middle gear in the t-case, where I couldnt use 2nd or 3rd in 4Lo as opposed to 4Lo and 1st. Guess thats just me.

xjnation said:
Half inch control rods dont move well with 1/8" control cables. the shifters they use have a solid leverage point just above the control rods, and trust me it needed!

I think the funny thing about the site is they dont actually show any installed pics on the rigs they are testing them on. When I emailed and asked for installed pics I got no response. but when I emailed about sending them money they responded very fast.

Don't know how recent they added THESE but they are some pics of it installed in a TJ. The video of the 5 to 1 overpowering the STOCK brakes is pretty funny, especially since that is the stock tires. I would hate to see that thing go down a hill. :laugh3:

-Mike

ArcticXJ said:
The only downside??

I'm gonna have to go ahead and list 3 GRAND as a down side. I dont know if the extra gear is worth a thousand dollars. All I need is normal, and low-as-possible. I cant think of an instance where I'll use the middle gear in the t-case, where I couldnt use 2nd or 3rd in 4Lo as opposed to 4Lo and 1st. Guess thats just me.
have you priced a 5:1 Atlas with 32 spline outputs?

Hmmm... actually I had not.

I stand corrected. :lecture:

so $100 extra and you get another gear (3:1) but have to make your own shifters. both have their place, but if I was dropping near 3 grand on a t-case, I would get the Stak. However that will never happen, my completely stock 231 (not even an SYE) has been doing just great ;)

BrettM said:
so $100 extra and you get another gear (3:1) but have to make your own shifters. both have their place, but if I was dropping near 3 grand on a t-case, I would get the Stak. However that will never happen, my completely stock 231 (not even an SYE) has been doing just great ;)

i run rocks,

i attempt to stay out of the mud as much as possible

i have a 5 speed tranny that currently goes about 35 in 4lo 5th gear

i dont have a need for two speeds, and am considering running either a tera 4:1, a RockTrack, or a fliped d300, im leaning away from the 300 though because I already have an SYE and the d300 would probably be the most expensive of the 3 - rebuild kit, flip kit, gears, HD outputs $$$

Back