• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tools for SYE.

mack

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my PORC sye kit and a front drive shaft from 00 xj, i've never done anything like this before, for all you that have, i just wanted to know if i will need anything other then normal hand tool? also, any tips you may have will help too, i have a 1" t-case drop too, will i not need this anymore?
i plan on making it a "weekend project"....i hope.
any help will be great.
thanks.

mack said:
I just got my PORC sye kit and a front drive shaft from 00 xj, i've never done anything like this before, for all you that have, i just wanted to know if i will need anything other then normal hand tool? also, any tips you may have will help too, i have a 1" t-case drop too, will i not need this anymore?
i plan on making it a "weekend project"....i hope.
any help will be great.
thanks.

Is that a hack-n-tap style SYE or do you have to pull the case apart? Either way, you can have it done in a day. You won't need the t-case drop with the SYE.
Billy

it's the one with the new tail cone and shaft.
JeepFreak21 said:
Is that a hack-n-tap style SYE or do you have to pull the case apart? Either way, you can have it done in a day. You won't need the t-case drop with the SYE.
Billy

mack said:
it's the one with the new tail cone and shaft.

There are a few write-ups out there, including THIS one. It's not for the same brand, but it'll be similar.

My best advise... get some good snap ring pliers. The ones that have are flat on the end. (Kinda like THESE ones) Don't waste your time with the enterchangable ones or the ones that have the little round tips.
HTH,
Billy

List of tools:

-10mm 12 point socket
-Heavy duty lock ring pliers (a must!)
-Snap ring pliers (i didnt really need these, only reason i used them was becuase i didnt have lockring pliers, a PITA!)
-Torque wrench
-Gasket maker
-Engine assembly lube (per directions)
-ATF
-Good set of sockets/wrenches

Read a couple writeups before u go for the installation. It will make everything easier. Take your time and take a mental note on how everything goes together.

Couple things i came accross....

-Dont try to shift through the gears until both yokes are torqued down to 150 ft lbs (it provides the extra space for you to shift)
-Take a note of which way the sleeve on the shift fork goes in, it only goes in one way, otherwise the t-case will not shift properly.
-Make sure you put in the spring, magnet, oil pump etc. and make sure everything is nice and tight.

Goodluck.

-Will

Last edited:
Back