• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dextron III in a '98?

The 30RH recommended fluid is Mopar ATF Plus 3 type 7176
The AW4 recommended fluid is Mopar Dexron IIE/Mercon
This according to page 21-165 of the factory service manual. Also according to the manual Mopar Dexron II can be used in an emergency where the mercon fluid is not available.

in a 1996 the dexron 2e /mercon is also recommended.

anyone have thoughts on using mobil 1 synthetic or b & m synthetic?

Others here have used syn in the tranny with mixed results from 'no change', 'started slipping' to 'needed to have it rebuilt', the one that really comes to mind is beezils because it was the first horror story, his toasted shortly after going to synthetic. I'd stay with the recommended fluid in the autos. As for the rest of it there have been no real issues with synthetic in the engines, TC's and diffs except for synthetics having the ability to find the smallest pinhole to leak out of and turning the smallest leak into a flood :D
If you use it in the diffs keep an eye on the brake drum area, you might get some seepage there at the axle seals. I changed my 98 diffs fluid at ~50k with no problems. I run total syn but am going to change my AX15's back to the Mopar GL3 stuff as I have not been able to locate a straight GL3 fluid.

updated manual ???

No clue if this is applicable to you, but:

The 2001 FSM (Page 0-3) says:

"Mopar Dexron III/Mercon is the recommended fluid for the AW-4
automatic transmissions. Dexron II fluids ARE NOT recommended.
Clutch chatter can result from the use of improper fluids"

Good luck !

went to autozone today to buy trans. fluid. their computer lists ATF+3 as the correct type.

FSM shows dexron IIe
owners manual show dexron III
chilton shows dexron IIe

Going to the stealership tomorrow to find out for sure.

If you buy it from the dealership, after filling cut one of the bottles labels and tape in your service manual :D
My fsm front and back pages have oil, air and lube lables taped on them from Mobil, K&N, Mopar, AC, Purolator from the boxes or bottles they came in. Much better than the chicken scratching my handwriting has turned into after 32 years of teletypes, klineschmidts and keyboards.

anaheimxj said:
went to autozone today to buy trans. fluid. their computer lists ATF+3 as the correct type.

FSM shows dexron IIe
owners manual show dexron III
chilton shows dexron IIe

Going to the stealership tomorrow to find out for sure.
checker also lists atf+3 in there computer

red_01_xj said:
checker also lists atf+3 in there computer

Hopefully he found the correct answer in the 3.5 years since he went to the dealership...

The AW4 is not a Chrysler slushbox, and therefore does not hold to Chrysler standards for fluid. The AW4 is actually a Toyota box...

ATF +3/+4 is a Chrysler fluid, and works for the later 3xRx and 4xRx boxes. The AW4 has stuck with Dexron IIE/III for its production life, and should not use ATF +3/+4 - AW4 clutches are picky, and the +3/+4 is "too slick" for the AW4 clutches to tolerate. Typically, ditto synthetics (that's what causes all the clutch chatter - slippage.)

Most aftermarket parts houses will list ATF +3/+4 because the people who programme them think that, since ChryCo bought Jeep in 88, they changed over all the production standard to ChryCo. Not so.

However, due to the fact that there are no clutches in the transfer case, you may either either Dexron IIE/III or ATF +3/+4 - it's just a mechanical lubricant there, and the only real requirement is that it is thin enough to go through the circulation pump (which only develops volume - no significant pressure.) Synthetics may also be used in the NP231/NP242, but they are advised against in the AW4.

If you have a three-speed automatic (30RH or 32RH, most likely,) you'll want to use ATF +3/+4. If you have a four-speed automatic, you've got an AW4 and will want to stick to Dexron II/III.

5-90

How about Mercon V? I ask because it's supposed to be compatible with Mercon III although I think the V version has a synthetic component. (98 Cherokee 4.0)

Last edited:
Slo-Sho said:
Maybe you could use that fluid to do a trans flush before you put the recommended fluid in, no?

Thank you for your insightful post. If you have information about Mercon V, wanna share?

I did several searches and could find no reference to it.

Start Hijack.

5-90 said:
The AW4 is not a Chrysler slushbox, and therefore does not hold to Chrysler standards for fluid. The AW4 is actually a Toyota box...

Not to sound like a douche, but the AW4 is as much a Toyota as it is Chrysler. They both use them, but its made by Asin Warner (thus the AW). Toyota used a similar one in their supras 'cuz its pretty much bulletproof.

I read this info maybe a year ago, so I might be off a bit. I just know how you like to know things.

End hijack.

Marty

boredchimp said:
Start Hijack.

Not to sound like a douche, but the AW4 is as much a Toyota as it is Chrysler. They both use them, but its made by Asin Warner (thus the AW). Toyota used a similar one in their supras 'cuz its pretty much bulletproof.

I read this info maybe a year ago, so I might be off a bit. I just know how you like to know things.

End hijack.

Marty

Er, I thought I said that, more or less...

The AW4 made its first appearance (as I recall,) in the pickup and RWD Toyota van, then was modified for use in the Celica and Supra. It is also found in most RWD Lexus models - Lexus being a division of Toyota - and I think they all use the same torque converter, and modifications of the same flexplate (obviously, the Jeep ones are going to be different...)

I do think you're really stretching to say "it's as much Chrysler as it is Toyota" - I may be wrong on that point, but isn't Aisin a company that deals with Toyota first, and everyone else second? I'm sure I haven't seen any Aisin gearboxes in Nissan/Datsun, and I don't think they're in any Hondas, either (I could be wrong on the latter tho - I don't keep up with transaxles...)

Used in Toyota models, it's called (as I recall...) the 03-40, and you'll find more hits for parts under its Toyota number than you ever will under AW4.

As far as ChryCo goes, they only used it for one year in the ZJ (1993) before replacing it with the 3xRH/4xRE-series boxes, and I'm honestly not sure why they stuck with it in the XJ and MJ (I'm glad they did - the AW4 is a superior box. I just don't know why they bothered - especially since the 30RH/32RH was found in the X1 "fleet" Cherokee...)

5-90

5-90 said:
Er, I thought I said that, more or less...

5-90 said:
The AW4 is actually a Toyota box...

I'd say the less rather than more :)

I can't remeber where I read it, but they said that Aisin was the Japanese part and Warner was the American part, so I guess I took it one step further and figured it was as much Chrysler's as Toyota.

I have an AX-15, so I really shouldn't even be commenting here! :doh:

Back