• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Receiver where the tow hook should go?

OUG

NAXJA Forum User
I know most people around here will say tow hook brackets or a new bumper with a front receiver. To many people have said it. I want to find something different. Let me re-phrase that. I want to build something different. How about bolting a receiver adapter where each tow hook would go? I used a 1/4" plate with grade 8 bolts all the way through the frame. I used big washers on the other side. The plate is big enough I had to grind out a section for the sway bar to fit into. I just picked up two reciever adapters and drilled a couple holes for the bolts. I have a 1 1/4" hitch with a shackle on the end of it that I can just rotate around to where I need it. The recivers just hide right behind the cowl and the hitch and shackle just slides right in place. I'm not an engineer so please give me some opinions and let me know if this was a good idea or if I should think of something else before I need to use it.

Sorry no picture accompanies this post. I have an image but I can't post attachments for some reason.

You need to host the pic at a site like photobucket.com and then link to it here to get it to show up. Then we can tell you how ingenious or bone-headed your design is. And I am an engineer.

If I understand corectly you want to bolt it up instead of towhooks? If so look how towhook brackets (OEM) are tied into the jeep and try to recreate it (search oem as someone posted the pic of how the brackets look and tie in).
Bolting the plates straight on is asking for trouble and I believe you'd fail tech inspection before the trail rides.

Do it the right way the first time so you don't crack your unibody or bend something that is not supposed to bend. Get yourself a front hitch from Drawtite that bolts up in less than a half an hour or just get some tow hooks and brackets from Rusty's or C4x4. Your idea sounds wierd to me without the pictures to show what you are actually doing. As already stated we really need some pictures.

Kim.

Interesting, but is there anything to stiffen the mounts in a lateral direction? I'd also like to see them run back to the big factory tow hook bracket hole.

Lawn Cher' said:
Interesting, but is there anything to stiffen the mounts in a lateral direction? I'd also like to see them run back to the big factory tow hook bracket hole.

definately. Maybe get some fac tow brackets, and weld them to it.

Lawn Cher' said:

I second that. If left this way I could see the unibody pulling one way or cracking. If you were stuck and someone had to pull you hard I see that happening, but it looks better than some ideas some people have come up with.

Kim.

red91inWA said:
And Dr. Phil is a Dr. :D

What kind of engineer ?

Mechanical Engineer, TYVM. BS from Rowan University (where?) in '01. Background in mechanical design, solid modeling, and project management in the pharmaceutical packaging, material handling and aerospace industries.

Bracket Hole

Is the tow hook bracket hole the one in the upper left of the picture or the one four inches away from my bracket?

Re: Bracket Hole

P1010003.jpg

looks like a good idea cept for the part about lateral movement

That picture is like the joke about the engineer -- it responds to the question but is totally useless.

Show us how you have the tubes attached to the frame rails. From your description so far, I'm hoping that I never find myself on the same trail with you.

Eagle,
The pictures depict how the bracket is applied and gives the visual on the distance the bracket is actually spaning to hold the tube. As for the comment about finding yourself on the same trail as me is just rude. I'm trying to create something different. To look at a problem from a different angle and be inventive. I asked for opinions to better my jeep and remind me of those little things that are likely the key to making the bracket work. That's why we're all here, to get idea's and help those trying to get ideas so everyone will have a better time enjoying their Jeep!

You need to grab more space back on the frame rail and extend the brackets futher back. Look at the factory, rustys, custom4x4 and you will see how far back you need to make those brackets. It's a nice idea and I like it. I think though that I would figure out how to both weld and bolt the 2" receiver [it is 2" is it not ? ] to the bracket. Maybe drop the bracket down 2" and bolt the hitch material at the back and weld the rest. I'd have to play with it a bit, can visualize it in my mind but nothing substitutes for having the steel in your hands. There is also the comment about lateral pull, the factory brackets had an additonal bracket that comes off an an angle to lateral stability [non straight pulls] and even with that the factory brackets tend to tweak a bit. It has been a while but I think the factory brackets were like 14"+ long..it's pouring outside and I'm NOT going out there to measure one... :D

OUG said:
Eagle,
The pictures depict how the bracket is applied and gives the visual on the distance the bracket is actually spaning to hold the tube.
Sorry. I saw the picture that appeared in the thread and didn't realize you had posted links to others.

IMHO your attachments are totally inadequate and dangerous.

Lawn Cher' said:
You need to host the pic at a site like photobucket.com and then link to it here to get it to show up. Then we can tell you how ingenious or bone-headed your design is. And I am an engineer.
I got an engineering degree too, but when do we get to drive the train?

Thank you

Thanks for all the insight. I'll see if I can't get another piece of steel and make a new bracket that goes all the way to the tow hook hole. As for lateral support I'll have to do some more thinking.

OUG said:
I'm trying to create something different.

While I appreciate your desire to fab your own, a front receiver on an XJ is nothing new. The ones on the market are only around $100 and are one of the strongest type of recovery points for the front of an XJ not to mention they actually strengthen the unibody up front.

You'll find one here: http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp?model=Cherokee&category=fmr&year=2000&make=Jeep&t1=&h=e

85xjwoody said:
Do it the right way the first time so you don't crack your unibody or bend something that is not supposed to bend. Get yourself a front hitch from Drawtite that bolts up in less than a half an hour

I couldn't agree more. Your design will most likely leave you with a torn up front end. Bolt up a Draw-tite while everything will still line up.

Back