• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire carrier/bumper

anaheimxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have read the various threads on this subject, but

does anybody have anything to say about Durango 4x4 stuff?

what about Wilderness?

anything except price wise.

looking more for input on fit, durability, quality, etc.

hey look at the american expedition vehicles web page ,,,and drool at the bumper and carrier configuration ,,,the open clossing sistem is the greatest since it uses a cj 7 door opener ......
the best design i think out there ...

cauac said:
hey look at the american expedition vehicles web page ,,,and drool at the bumper and carrier configuration
You'd have a better chance of getting a photo of Bigfoot than picking up one of these anytime soon.

I agree on the availability issue. a friend of mine has been waiting for more than a year. they have a waiting list or so they call it.

no firm production date or manufacturer.

they are, I mean look, great on the web.

I had the Durango rear bumper for about 3yrs. If I was going to do it again I would look at the Bulletproof bumpers. Hope this helps!

Craig

Craig, why would you look at Bulletproof stuff?

was the Durango faulty, too much money for the product, personal preference?

I really had a problem with having the swing arm on the rear bumper. My friends and I noticed when I was going at highway speeds the bumper seem to flex alot! After about a year or two I notice that when I would swing the tire carrier out of the way the bumper was flexing a lot. Something was wrong with that picture. So I ask Jeff at MIT to look into it and he notice that the mount for the bumper to the frame was seperating. He then rewelded them back to gether. So I took my swing arm off and put the spare on top. I have seen Mark Hickley's ride and he carries the spare on top. I haven't ask him why, but it seem to be a good idea. I think that Durango bumper is very strong, but it is very heavy which may have contributed to my flexing problem. Taking a look at the design of BPM I think it would be lighter and put less stress on the unibody. You can contact Rockwgn (member) he has the same bumper from Durango and ask him what his experience has been with the bumper.

Hope this helps!
Craig

It seems like someone was asking about their durango rear swingout flexing on the freeway on the boards just the other day. I find the comments interesting because I chose BulletProof Mfg over durango. The way that the bulletproof Mfg bumper uses the hitch mounts seemed to be much stronger than durango and the durango looked to me to fit better on a 97+ model rather than my 93, as well as being even heavier than BP Mfg. I would still love to get a Durango 4X4 front winch bumper however.
I havn't had any spare mount rattle or bumper flex problems with the bulletproof.
There is always something new out there. It was just this week that I heard about AEV for the first time, Their stock looking aproach really appeals to me. it sounds like someone else might come out with an even better bumper before you get one though.

Speak and ye shall recieve!

http://www.bpifab.com/bumper/cherokee_rear.htm

Cheaper than Durango and Bullet proof.

Stronger than durango, lighter than BulletProof.

Taking a look at the design of BPM I think it would be lighter and put less stress on the unibody.

The Bullet proof bumpers are actually some of the heaviest bumpers made since they use rectangular tubing. They are extremely strong, very well mounted, and REDICULOUSLY expensive. You're looking at $1000 per bumper plus shipping and TAX if your in CA like me.

I looked at the web page above and was somewhat impressed.

it would seem to me that the other manufacturers that are too high in price are a better deal over all.

if you have any doubts just read their, bpi, warranty. it is only a year, if you modify it to fit your vehicle,"... elongate a hole, bend or force it..." it voids the year warranty.

I think the warranty may be worth the extra money, it shows me that these companies are sure of their product, know it will take the use and abuse and stand up to it. If it doesn't for some reason it will be replaced.

Again just my thoughts.

looking more for input on fit, durability, quality, etc.

as a Bulletproof owner I'll give a few more pennies to this thread. Fit , theres more to fit than just how well it bolted up; you have to consider the fact that the bullet proof rear bumper doesn't protect the bottom of the corners well. the corner sheet metal extends lower than the bumper. Also it doesn't protect very far towards the fender flare, does that fit your intended usage? To back basalt51, you have to consider how the extra weight (it will weigh down those old saggy suspension components) will fit on the back of your rig. For my stock rig the first issue hasn't come up but the second issue is a concern now so a suspension upgrade is a necessary priority (though it is about time anyway)

Don't rely on a warranty to decide, ask BPI owners what they have experienced like you did of Durango owners in your first post. Ok, thats enough .02 from me.

Back